Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power steering nightmare... Please help me..

Question Power steering nightmare... Please help me..

I have already sent a PM to the moderator of this section regarding this, but I would also like to post the same as I have already posted on NUMEROUS Mazda 3 forums (I even have it on copy/paste.. I know, sad) and seek help from others.. I am aware it's long, but Please take a moment and read my issue (NIGHTMARE)

So i recently purchased a salvaged 08 Mazda 3i with 91,000 miles. Unfortunately the front right side was crashed, as im pretty sure MANY of you know the electric power steering pump is on that side. This was damaged and i had to get it replaced. I purchased the pump and reservoir on ebay. unfortunately it is not working and i have a very strong feeling that it may not be the actual pump but in fact something else. By this, I mean this is a list of EVERYTHING I have done so far and to no avail, it is STILL not working... I have tried 2 different pumps, both of which confirmed working prior to the wreck, checked ALL fuses both inside and outside, tried to "relearn" the power steering angle by doing full turns left and right, bleeding air from the pump (air bubbles were coming up, but it still didn't work tried this with BOTH pumps), took a test light to wires coming to/from the pump and steering angle censor, all that are hot are and pump is grounded, have took the battery cable off numerous times, even bought the computer diagnostic offline and have turned the power steering and check engine light off, it still keeps coming on, though not always together the power steering light stays on... there is obviously something wrong somewhere and I feel I have exhausted all I know to try and I am sincerely hoping someone else out there may have another idea to try.. PLEASE help me.. I have posted on many different Mazda forums with no answers, I don't have $90 to hand the dealer just to pull it in there please someone... I am sorry this is so long but I feel it's necessary I list everything I have tried in order to receive proper help.. Thank you for reading

i hate to say it but if i had tried all that to no avail, id be taking it to a mechanic i trusted or taking it to the dealership for them to find out whats wrong with it... i know thats not what you want to hear but thats what i would do. sorry man

Yeah.. thanks for the reply. It's definately not considering I have not only exhausted all I know to do myself but exhausted alot of money in doing so.. and the dealer likes to milk you for the money for sure!
    Last edited by juicedlime; 03-22-2013 at 04:41 PM.

What about doing a swap...I recently came across a YouTube video where they put the regular belt powered systems that is on the Mazda Speed's onto an electric powered 3, and I must say with all the issues I am having with this.. I am very curious about doing something like that.. They performed it on a couple 3's in this video.. I'm sure there are differences you would need to look into as far as the fluid pressure and whatnot.. any opinions on this?

opinions??

my opinion on this is to stop blindly throwing money at something you don't for sure know what the problem is.
    trust me ive been there with issues on my car, had i just checked a few things and then after they checked out gone to a mechanic, i could have saved alot of money, instead of constantly blindly throwing money at possible fixes that didnt pan out... heck i think i spent more in trying to fix it than it actually cost to take to a reputable mechanic and him actually fix the problem

you asked for opinions so i gave you mine

the pump has the electric module/motor attached to it... it MUST be programmed/married to the car every time the entire unit is replaced... only a dealer can do it
    the 04-06 pumps are also different from the 07-09 pumps.... if you got the wrong year, it's not going to work!

you want an opinion too? here's my opinion: you should've never got a junky ass POS salvage titled car unless you're knowledgeable/prepared to take care of all the surprises it throws at you... salvage titled cars are cheap for a good reason, much like "if it's too good to be true, it usually is"

Thank you for all the input, as for buying a junky POS salvage, my opinion to that is obviously the power steering pumps were a piece of shit when they put them on them to begin with or they wouldn't have had a recall, Ford thought they had a good idea, apparently they didn't. I called a dealer to set up an appointment and they said they had one sitting waiting on the owner to buy a power steering pump for it to be fixed. Another opinion, it's ridiculous they put shit on cars these days normal local mechanic's can't work on because they do dumb shit and put features on there only they can work on so they can get the money. A normal person would assume you can buy a new one, put it on there.

Next time I will buy a Chevy. Again, thank you.
    Last edited by juicedlime; 04-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.

they recalled the pump because of shit inside the pipes on a certain batch supplied to mazda... it had nothing to do with the pump or design
    you send any shit through any pump, it's going to break! I don't care if it's a chevy, chrysler, ford, or honda... you send garbage into it, it's going to destroy any pump!

know wtf you're talking about before making accusations that the pump is a piece of shit
    better yet, go to tech school before you attempt to be a cheap ass and buy a late model salvage titled car..... have fun with buying a chevy, because any late model is just as complicated and shitty

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    they recalled the pump because of shit inside the pipes on a certain batch supplied to mazda... it had nothing to do with the pump or design
    you send any shit through any pump, it's going to break! I don't care if it's a chevy, chrysler, ford, or honda... you send garbage into it, it's going to destroy any pump!

know wtf you're talking about before making accusations that the pump is a piece of shit
    better yet, go to tech school before you attempt to be a cheap ass and buy a late model salvage titled car..... have fun with buying a chevy, because any late model is just as complicated and shitty
    Actually dick head I'm a girl, so I think credit where credit is due I done pretty good attempting to fix myself . FYI, I didn't ask for your opinion on my purchase, I asked for an opinion on an issue I was having. So before you go running your shit eater maybe you should read first, because quite frankly, I don't give a shit what you think about buying salvages, if it were such a bad investment I doubt IAA and CoPart would have so many people buying off them. So GTFO, not everyone has thousands to fork over to a brand new car or take to the dealer under warranty they actually get off their lazy ass and attempt to fix it theirself. Thanks!!

no where did I insinuated or assumed you're a guy... nobody cares what gender you are any more when you enroll in a tech school
    please spare me the "I'm a girl" excuses... I don't give special treatment unlike lots of dorks on car forums because it's sexist... anyone has the potential to do anything, doesn't matter if they're female or male

however, if you felt your capabilities were limited and didn't care to expand them, then it was unwise of you to get a salvage title car as I already said, plain and simple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast