Thread: transaxle mount location

transaxle mount location

First of all hello everyone, new here. Very cool site.
    Have a stupid question im sure...Just got a 2003 mazdaspeed with manual gearbox. When I bought it the front motor mount was busted and tranny mount too im assuming. Im learning this is a very common accurance on these cars. I replaced front motor mount no problem. But i see no tranny mount at all, like its gone. I looked the part up so im guessing it does have one. But where is the mount located originally.

Well from what I've been seeing on here i guess it's just a rear motor mount. Not a tranny mount. Anyone know the best way to replace it?

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Best way is to drop the front crossmember. Most folks don't want to go to all that trouble, I only did it because I was replacing my front sway bar at the time. You can go down from the top but there is a small stud on the firewall that you will need to cut off in order to maneuver the mounts in and out. If you take a look back there it should present itself.
    '81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro SS 'vert (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

I replaced my rear mount by myself in my driveway. I took off the intake manifold and accessed from the top. It went ok other than the wire harness bracket. Its a plastic piece of shit held on by two nuts with studs on the firewall. One of which as mentioned above is in your way. I basically smashed and ripped at the bracket until it ripped the stud out of the firewall, being careful not to damage the harness of course.

Also if you go this route i suggest getting a universal joint for your socket set. I hadnt come across anyone else that had this problem but i couldn't get the socket straight on the two mount nuts nearest the firewall because the extensions hit the firewall.

It sounds like dropping the cross member is the easiest method. The only reason i didnt approach it this way is because the amount of rust on my car i didnt want to risk snapping or messing up anything to do with the crossmember.
    2003.5 Mazda Protege5 5 speed - Laser Blue Mica (24a)
    2007 Mazda 5 GS 5 Speed - Strato Blue Mica (25e)
    2002 Mazda Protege5 5 Speed - Sunlight Silver Metallic (22v)- R.I.P March 2014.

Yep I saw the wire harness u are talkin about. Looks like a little bit of a pain but I've been through worse spots before. Also when the front mount went it twisted enough to rip the shifter out of its holding spot in the car. Everything still works and is fine, stills shifts good. But the shifter won't stay up in it's original place. So basically the shifter rod is just riding on the top of the exhaust shield. I can pull it back up into its spot but won't stay there. Do you know what part or parts I need to fix the problem. And where I might find these parts.

Anyone know what parts i need to keep the shifter and rod up in its place?

Guess it must be a dealer part, all i found where the bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
    First of all hello everyone, new here. Very cool site.
    Have a stupid question im sure...Just got a 2003 mazdaspeed with manual gearbox. When I bought it the front motor mount was busted and tranny mount too im assuming. Im learning this is a very common accurance on these cars. I replaced front
    aftermarket parts motor mount no problem. But i see no tranny mount at all, like its gone. I looked the part up so im guessing it does have one. But where is the mount located originally.
    This is common problem and I was not able to solve it. In the end I hired a mechanic to get it right
    Last edited by Chaundo; 03-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.