Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new DD has arrived.. 1993 Protege LX

Thanks guys
    "Failure is the mother of success."

So I bought a bunch of stuff on my way home from work and got started on some of it tonight. First thing I wanted to do was flush the coolant system. I drained what seemed to be hot cocoa with no traces of coolant lol. After a few rinses and starting up once with just water I filled it up with clean water and some coolant flush stuff I had laying around. I ran water though till it came out clear before the flush.. this was what came out after the flush:

After a few more rinses and flushes with just water I filled it up with some 50/50 coolant. While I was letting the car run for the flushes I adjusted my idle, it was at 2k cold and about 1700 hot.. a whole 1k more than it should have been. I got it back down to about 800 when warm:

I did find my intake tube was torn in multiple places and put back together with electrical tape and some silicone. I actually ripped off some tape messing around with it...

Yes, this could have caused my high idle but I duct taped it back up for now and raised the idle a little until I get a new piece then I'll adjust it again.

I'd really just like to get some sort of SRI but I'm still going to get a stock tube from a junk yard. If I did get an SRI is there some way to delete that box after the AFM? I have no idea what it does but it has a tube going up to some EGR looking thing on the TB.

After all that I checked the spark plugs.. I did buy new ones but I didn't want to put them in before I used the SeaFoam and before I changed the VC gasket because I have some oil on top of the plugs 4 and 2.

The SeaFoam was fun, as usual lol. I smoked out the whole neighborhood when I went out for a quick ride to get all the gunk out. It's definitely running better already though and that's even with the duct taped intake :P

And one last picture.. I found the dirtiest spot on my car! I'll have to clean this up soon.

Tomorrow I have to go pick up the new distributor cap/rotor I ordered and search some junk yards for an intake tube plus I need to get some new insurance and transfer the title/tag/registration.

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    I have always wanted one of these (preferably the 4wd version). Looks good John, congratulations on the purchase.

Can't say for sure but the box after your AFM might be a Helmholtz (or similar) chamber. If it is, it's there strictly for sound attenuation. I'm sure you will be able to find the answer on a first gen site.
    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

I told you, John. Keep it, along with the rest of the stock intake. You'll actually lose power/torque without it. You can make an SRI work with it, if you must. Here's one that's actually made for the car. They even make a cold air intak for $40 more.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=143&pid=1929

Here's an Accord eBay intake without the box.

- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Thanks Chief Josh you already know I got a new intake tube :P I think I'll just keep this one, it's a little bit smaller than the stock one but I think that'll be fine. Here's my post from CP:

Today I went to the local you pull and pay since they had a few BGs to find a new intake tube. The only LX that had a motor and intake parts was this one with the broken pipe, looked kinda like mine lol. I test fitted one off the 1.6L though and it fit so I figured it would at least work for now. It's really not that much different so I'll probably just keep on using it.

Everything looked pretty clean under the VC:

I cleaned, sanded and prepped the VC for paint:

Painted it:

Sanded off the letters:

And put it back on!

The car fired right up and doesn't hesitate or stumble anymore with the new plugs and distributor parts. I also changed the oil today.

the freshly painted VC is tits

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

^This.
    - Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

I haz better pics.. coming soon

Update:

The VC looked great this morning in the sunlight so I just had to take some pics, it also shows the new intake tube.

The rubber gasket deal for the PCV was pretty crusty, dried out and not sealing well so I went ahead and got a new gasket and valve:

I mocked up my TRM wheels from my Miata, I know they have R-comps on them right now but I just wanted to see how they'd look. I think they would look pretty nice.

And lastly I got bored and popped off the trunk badges and hit them with some flat black:

I also got new insurance and the title, tag and registration transferred over so today it's now my DD!

Woot for making it official!

That VC looks great and the TRM wheels will look awesome...get them biotches mounted!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast