Thread: "SMS Text Message" touchscreen function not working on 2013 Mazda3 Grand Touring

"SMS Text Message" touchscreen function not working on 2013 Mazda3 Grand Touring

Hey all,

I work in sales at a Mazda dealership here in Oregon. We've just gotten our first Grand Touring 2013 Mazda3. I'm trying to teach myself the new touchscreen system, which is almost identical to that found in the CX-5.

I'm using an iPhone4, and have successfully paired the phone to the car to use the Bluetooth and Pandora functions. The phone is set up as both my Phone and Audio device. Pandora and Bluetooth are working fine.

BUT... I can't get the SMS text message function to work. When my iPhone is paired, the "Message" tab at the top of the touchscreen is greyed out -- can't be pressed. When I paired my fellow salespeople's Droid phones instead of my iPhone -- one was a Motorola and one was an LG -- the Message tab was lit (hooray!) and able to be pressed. BUT... after pressing the Message button, the only option is to "Download Messages"... which ends up with a "Message Download Fail" message, or something to that effect. Also, text messages sent to the Droid phone that's paired, do not pop up on the touchscreen or register in any way.

Long story short, the much-anticipated SMS Text Message feature doesn't seem to work.

What am I doing wrong? Help!

Thanks,

Mike P.

The iPhone does not support messaging over Bluetooth. I work for Ford and specialize in our Sync system. We have the same problem. Believe it or not the the only phone that probably uses all your features flawlessly is the Moto Razr...released in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten6
    maybe you should think harder maybe your the one who should be in school if you cant correct my mistakes in your head

This is why i like my cars old tech, or lack of tech. At least i dont have problems with shit not working, because its not there to begin with!! That and I'd never be able to figure it out anyways.

A lot of people must be getting pissed if they get upsold on a car with all the fancy features to end up having them not work with the phone they have.
    2003.5 Mazda Protege5 5 speed - Laser Blue Mica (24a)
    2007 Mazda 5 GS 5 Speed - Strato Blue Mica (25e)
    2002 Mazda Protege5 5 Speed - Sunlight Silver Metallic (22v)- R.I.P March 2014.

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Does this seem suspicious to anyone else? Salesman at dealer can't figure out the features on a new car, so instead of getting in touch with corporate or looking at whatever materials are included in their sales package, he asks the question on a car forum for a model that has just come out.

I'm with 00bluees. A phone is a phone, we aren't supposed to be using them while driving so why are cars being made with these features?
    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

Honestly you would be surprised just how many sales people don't know jack about the systems in new cars. Our dealership is one of the few in our region that actually have a crew of guys specially trained to actually deal with problems that arise from Sync and different Nav systems. Also, typically it's not the car that's the problem, it's the phone.

maybe you should think harder maybe your the one who should be in school if you cant correct my mistakes in your head

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    I've been around long enough that little surprises me as regards any sort of salesman. I steer clear as much as I can, which is why I did the majority of my finagling for my Speed6 via e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    I steer clear as much as I can, which is why I did the majority of my finagling for my Speed6 via e-mail.
    I don't mean to hijack, but this just happened:

Ebay has a listing for an RX-8 located at a dealer near me. Reserve is not yet met. I message the ebay seller (Toyota of Bedford) to ask what the reserve price is. He responds with his cell number to call and he will tell me. Whether he tells me over the phone, in person, or in a fireworks display that writes the price in flaming lights isn't going to change if I am interested or not. I just want to know the price, dammit. Why should I have to call?

/threadjack

BTW, if it is under $6,000, it's mine. Well technically my fiance will buy it. She has wanted one for a while...
    2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport

They want you to call so that they can get an appointment. The close they can get you to the building the closer they can get to a sale.

I am having the same issue on a 2013 CX-9. The phone pairs with bluetooth with no problem for calls. The message button is "grayed out" unless I'm sitting still. Ok, no problem. I can see not allowing messages to download while the car is moving. However, when I try to download messages, I get a "download failed" message. Oddly, it worked properly for about a week (even while the car was moving) and then all of a sudden lost the capability for messaging. I deleted the phone and paired it with bluetooth again and it worked fine until I turned the car off. At that point, it wouldn't read message again (although it still works fine with the bluetooth for making/receiving calls). I am not going to delete and pair the phone each time I crank it back up. So, I decided I would only go to the trouble of pairing up again for long trips. Well, on my last long trip (labor day weekend), it wouldn't work at all, even after deleting the phone and pairing it again - not moving, not sitting still. I have another "long trip" coming up and would like to be able to use the messages feature, even if I can only download the messages when I stop somewhere for a break. The phone I'm using is a Samsung ZTE Majesty. The phone is compatible because it worked initially.