Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorch3's BG

Scorch3's BG

So I bought a BG. I got her for 700 but seriously in need of some suspension work but seemingly damn near rust free. 330XXX kms on it but the engine and clutch seem to be in excellent working condition. Axles and rear struts have been replaced he even had the receipts. Here she is the day I bought her:

07/28/11

Issues:
    - FP ball joint is absolutely shot, like unsafe for highway shot
    - FP strut is leaking/clunking
    - Surface rust/bubbling on drivers A-Pillar
    - PO installed an obnoxiously loud cherry bomb
    - Passenger headlight bulb is blown
    - Broken ass rain guards need to go
    - Drivers front door was replaced when someone tried to break in to the car so lock cylinder is different and it isn't on quite right, it drops about 2cm when opened
    - Theres no tach, I'm not even sure I've been to redline yet
    - Antenna is stuck up and looks silly
    - Clutch engages super late

So before modding commences this is the list to take care of and then we shall see.

Pile of parts that came with (spare tail lights are missing):

Extra set of winters with good tread:

Last edited by Scorch3; 10-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Slapped the 16x7 +42 with 205/45s off the old 3rd gen on to her.

Stock vs. New:

Found these under the hub caps

Me and the GF cleaned the whole interior today. Removed the seats vacuumed everything and shampoo'd the seats as well as scrubbing all the hard surfaces and throwing away the shitty smelling air fresheners.

GF cleaning a seat:

Everything clean, seats still out:

Found some rust in the trunk. Its missing the donut and the PO left the drain plugs out but i popped them back in. Little holes above the drain hole on the left.

Lookin good! Glad to see a Protege saved!!!

Sub'd to see future progress!!
    Last edited by mx-p5; 08-01-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Quote Originally Posted by mx-p5 View Post
    Lookin good! Glad to see a BP saved!!!

Sub'd to see future progress!!
    It's a DX. No BP here. Single cam fail. :P

The car is fairly clean, though. My dad will be selling a complete GTX engine soon if you want less slows. No matter what the engine or trim level, these cars are great. And sexy. You've done well.
    - Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

*facepalm myself lol*

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Shipping BP from Florida to NS would be murder I'm sure. I've seen GTX parts cars pop up before so I'm going to just keep an eye out for now. Suspension is in rough shape and I'd rather mod it first anyway. My dad's buddy is going to take a look and figure out what it will need for inspection in October and once I have that info I'll decide where to spend money and how much.

Suspension is a must. Two front sway bars is a dope setup.
    - Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Jacked it up and took the front tire off then watched for where the play was while my dad shook the hub and it turns out its the ball joint not the wheel bearing. So $25 tomorrow should have that fixed.

Ball joint was neglected so long that it started to slide around and beat the pinch bolt out of shape. Made getting the bolt out impossible. After hours i finally got it out by using vice grips to hold the pinch closed and banging on the back of the bolt with a hammer and punch while my dad twisted the head. Once again a simple job turns out to be incredibly frustrating. I'm on my way out to go get a new bolt now so hopefully be done soon.

So got the ball joint done and the car feels way better, everything is much tighter. Only thing is that theres still some play in the wheel if you grab the tire and shake it while parked so I'lll be looking for what that is tomorrow. Also the clunking noise from the fornt actually seems to have gotten worse, no idea how.

Pic of the crazy fucked up old one:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast