Thread: automatic gear stuck in 3rd

Exclamation automatic gear stuck in 3rd

hi i am using a 2001 mazda 323 bj 1.6l automatic.
    when i drive along as usual the gear suddenly downshifts to 3rd and the hold light starts to blink on the dashboard. when this happens the gear can downshift but will not shift to 4th. when i stop the car in D the blinking stops and everything is normal. this happens occationally...
    What could be the problem... I have changed ATF recently.

what is a "hold" light?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The light that lights up when you press the hold button on the side of the gear shifter.

Hi Harsham,

The blinking HOLD button indicates that your overdrive is malfunctioning.
    Youll need to send your car back to mazda motor for a autotrans diagnostic, this is about 80-150 USD.

As a guideline, the HOLD button on 4speed right hand drive BJ models allow you to control the 3 lower gears similarly to having a clutch. It also locks the gear in place so having it in "S" only retains the first and second gear, whilst D allows moving in all 3 gears.

ok, the OD light, ya you need to get the code read the next time it comes on...you may have a bad sensor, which could be cheap, or you need some tranny work. how many miles on this puppy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just passed 150,000Km today.... The problem with my car is that the light goes off when I come to a complete stop...