Thread: How to restore your CX-7 (or any car's) headlights with Meguiar's Restore kit

How to restore your CX-7 (or any car's) headlights with Meguiar's Restore kit

Our CX-7 is going on 5 years old, and has been outside 99% of the time. They was some hazing started on the lights, do I bought the $30 Heavy Duty kit at Advanced Auto.

Tape off around the headlight with painter's tape to protect the headlight.

Then wet sand the headlight by hand with the 1000 grit that attaches to the awesome gripper pad. this will remove the haze pretty quickly. Wipe with microfiber towel to make sure it is sanded uniformly.

Switch paper to the 3000 grit, and wet sand headlight some more. Wipe with microfiber towel to make sure it is sanded uniformly.

Then use the buffing wheel with the polish and a cordless drill to polish the headlight to a shine. I used plenty of polish, and still had lots left after both. I used my drill at the highest speed, too.
    Once you can wipe the polish off and it is looking awesome, then apply the protectant with the microfiber towel and done. They look like new again, but there are some internal cracks/crystallization that cannot be removed. Still 1000 times better.
    Last edited by Raider; 03-28-2011 at 08:10 AM.

looks great!

Yeah, good stuff. Will be interesting to see how well it holds up.

I did the same thing (think its the same kit) on mine minus the wet sanding, and they went back within 6 months. This time I sanded 400, 800, 1000 and then buffed and put on expel film. Only time will tell how well they hold up.

If I were you I would reapply the protectant pretty often to help ward off those pesky UV rays that cause the hazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proteges are exciting, you never know when a rod will be emancipated - DaftIntrovert

Blue magic makes a sealer for around 5 bucks. I would suggest getting that as well. Also, Meguiars has a two step clear plastic cleaning system. It's about 14 bucks total at Oreily's Auto Parts (Polish, Cleaner), but very much worth it for all exterior clear plastic.
    Given that they were able to coast after that happened, it leads me to believe that Mitsubishi trannies suck so much they don't even make good anchors. :D

The kit did come with a protectant, which was the final stage. I did see the Blue Coral stuff, but it looked sketchy to me. Their wax used be crap. Blue Magic, worth looking at, as well, as the plastic cleaning stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust any other blue magic product on my car.
    Given that they were able to coast after that happened, it leads me to believe that Mitsubishi trannies suck so much they don't even make good anchors. :D

It just needs to last a year, MAYBE two. 78K miles, and working on kid #2, will need dual sliding doors for sure. At least we are not upside-down as bad now. Stopped dropping in value, so it is worth what we owe.

I did this on my 92 protege lights (original light ). They came out great (and still look great) I don't thin I used this exact kit, but it was the same steps
    ||
    \_________________________________________________ _____________________/
    | |