Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those round black things

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Really? None of us would have guessed!

Have you considered the ContiExtremeContact DW? Yes, it does have a bit of a softer sidewall but overall I like them on my P5 and GRM did a wet tire review back in November comparing them vs. the Z1 Star Specs, R1Rs and ContiExtremeContact Wet (track only tire)......

Yeah, they're great...as a wet tire. As a dry tire? Kinda crap. So once again we've come full circle and I'm going to recommend the *specs
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Really? None of us would have guessed!
    Hahaha! thanks..
    roadster love.

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Adding lightness makes you faster everywhere."

I am really stuck in the 195 vs 205. For the star specs, it comes at a cost of 3 lbs per tire. For the RE-11s its 1 lb difference.

Also both list the 195 as recommended on 5.5-7" rims. For 205 they say 5.5-7.5".
    roadster love.

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Adding lightness makes you faster everywhere."

Here is what I have gleaned from the hi-perf autocross guys. You get best usability from the tire if the section width (not the tread width) matches the wheel width. That being the case, you should use a 195 on a 7.5" wide wheel, and use a 205 on an 8" wheel. As I am looking for more of a daily use tire, I am strongly considering putting 205s on my 7.5" wheels as it should give me more sidewall flex and thus a slightly smoother ride. I hadn't looked at the tire weights for the Star Specs yet, I knew they run heavy anyway but that is a lot for such a small difference in width.

Honestly at one point I was thinking about 7" wheels...since 7.5 is the widest allowed for sts, I think I want to go for that. I forgot what the allowed offsets are for that class though...I'll have to look it up.

Oh and you mean to tell me that my 205s on 6" stockers on the p5 are non-optimal?

You could always run 195/55/15s in the star specs, they are only 19lbs vs 18 for the 195/50...of course the 55s are going to be pretty tall!

...oh and the RE-11s are 20lbs for 195/50/15s
    roadster love.

Quote Originally Posted by roy obanion View Post
    Honestly at one point I was thinking about 7" wheels...since 7.5 is the widest allowed for sts, I think I want to go for that. I forgot what the allowed offsets are for that class though...I'll have to look it up.
    Offset is open.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

cool, thanks!
    roadster love.

Okay, since my favorite online place is long gone, does anyone know when/if the majors (like Tire Rack) have sales? I don't want to miss out on saving some money.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast