Thread: Rev limiter advice for the 1.8 FP/FS-DE motors

Rev limiter advice for the 1.8 FP/FS-DE motors

Hi, Guys

I am thinking of fitting a Unichip piggyback control unit, and then also upping the rev limit at the same time as 6500rpm is too low (it feels as if she wants to/can rev more). Currently, I can just about hang with the local Honda B16 Vtec's to a point, so she goes well, but some more revs would help;-)

How far can i go with the revs? Most manufacturers are quite conservative right? The car is stock except a single silencer free flow exhaust and a K&N flat panel filter. 7200rpm, 7500rpm, even higher?

PS. Do all of the Mazda Protege 1.8 FP's have a slight kick at 4000rpm? Mine is noticeable, which i quite like (almost like more aggressive camshafts were fitted), but is this due to the cam profile or intake design? I haven't driven another one so just curious.

Thanks!

If we are talking about a stock FS-DE here then it is advised to not go anywhere near 6500 rpm or over that. These engines do not like high revs at all. Be very careful man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proteges are exciting, you never know when a rod will be emancipated - DaftIntrovert

Administrator
    Whoa there --I would not, under any circumstances, advise upping the rev limiter, unless you want to do frequent engine rebuilds. The rev limiter is > 7000rpm by the way, not 6500.

Plus, power falls off quite rapidly up there, unless you've done some cam/head work. Without that, the car does not want to rev more.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

If I am correct the power band peaks at around 4k rpm. I assume this would be the surge or slight kick you are experiencing.

But as Suburban said these engine are not build to rev. They are economy engines not performance engine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proteges are exciting, you never know when a rod will be emancipated - DaftIntrovert

lol. the people with their b16's must have a few passengers along for the ride. or they aren't b16's. b16's make mincemeat of fp/fs-de's stock vs stock.

as for rev limter. leave it alone unless you do some serious head and exhaust work like suburban war said. the powerband drops drastically up high, something only headwork will solve. and yes, the redline is up around 7000 stock.

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Max Rpm is designated by the geometry of the crank, rod and piston.

The 1.8 has a long stroke giving it torque, this brings it's power band lower, makes the engine perform better but makes it more likely to fail at high RPM.

Wanna hang with the Honda Fags, get a turbo, remove weight.

It's always tricky posting if you dont have your facts straight;-)

@00blues. Yes, that is what i thought, so I stayed away from them. But yes, you might be right, it could have been loaded (dark tints so couldn't see)/tired motor/not a Vtec? It was just one run anyway, and it was a suprise to stay in touch. But maybe I should check out the full history of my car as well just to be sure.

I appreciate all the advice, guys, and won't increase it. Will check on my stock limiter again tho, because I am damn sure my redline is at 6500rpm on the dials, with a few more revs before the limiter actually kicks in. Maybe they're different here for the South African market?

That's where it shows on our gauges too, it just lets you go higher than it indicates...
    roadster love.

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Adding lightness makes you faster everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN MP5T View Post
    The Max Rpm is designated by the geometry of the crank, rod and piston.

The 1.8 has a long stroke giving it torque, this brings it's power band lower, makes the engine perform better but makes it more likely to fail at high RPM.

Wanna hang with the Honda Fags, get a turbo, remove weight.
    sometimes it is limited by the valvetrain as well. If you want to rev higher, you better make sure your valve springs can keep up
    or you'll float a valve, and the piston and valve will get to know each other really well

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ Non Interference Motor...

No "Knowing" will occur..