+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SCCA Solo Autocross Classing Info

SCCA Solo Autocross Classing Info

Since there are often a lot of questions about classing for SCCA Autocrossing, I figured I'd put a thread together. Since I've exclusively autoxed Mazdas, I can answer mostly to that (P5, MSP, Miata). I'll try and put as much in, and specify if there's a certain mod that caters more to 1 car than the rest (*cough*miata*cough*). Of course, these lists are not all-inclusive but give a pretty solid overview. As always consult the rulebook for specifics. The classes generally build on themselves, so if there's a mod listed in a lower category that's not listed in a higher one, chances are it's allowed.

Stock
    ====

Shocks, front sway, r-comps

Street Touring
    =========

Wheels up to 7.5" wide, street tires up to 140 treadwear, braided brake lines, shocks, springs, bushings, race seats, engine bolt-ons (cats have to remain), aftermarket brakes.

Street Prepared
    ==========

Update/Backdate Engine swaps, no-top (UDBD for Miatas), full ECU, ITBs, any wheels, fat r-comps, fender trimming, race seats, big rear spoilers, LSDs, UD/BD transmissions (Miatas), aftermarket brakes, flywheels & clutch

Street Modified
    =========

Any block from your car's manufacturer, engine mods are wide open, aftermarket (or modified stock) forced induction is encouraged, huge tires, huge wheels, big wings. Minimum weights based on displacement, body mods allowed

Prepared
    ======

Must use stock block, no aftermarket FI, but other than that engine allowances are wide open. Seam welding is allowed. Serious weight reduction, suspension is fairly open including improving geometry, fuel cells. Open cars MUST run a rulebook legal roll bar (2" under, etc), cages are encouraged, cars will run R-Comps or full slicks.

Modified
    =====

Classes where nearly anything goes. Home built specials to formula cars to turbocharged rotary bugeyed sprites running Formula Continental tires. If you can think of it, it PROBABLY has a place to play in Mod. Rules vary widely for "production" based cars and formula cars, consult the rulebook for more info. But if you have a gutted out turbo'd car, it runs here.
    Last edited by aMaff; 10-22-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Thanks Muf!!

Question time

Are the pics of cars in said classes?

IE the NC up top in stock catagory, are lighter wheels allowed? And R-Comps in stock class?

Also, is the miata stronger in one class over another? Say stock vs street modified?

And as to a rollbar, does that also bump it from stock as it does add some chassis rigidity?

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Quote Originally Posted by solo 2010 rules
    "Roll bars are strongly recommended in all cars..." "The intent of this requirement is that all open cars using racing slicks (non-DOT tires) must at a minimum have roll bars which meet Appendix C, regardless of Regional variations in category definitions and/or preparation allowances. For open cars in the Stock, Street Prepared, Street Touring, and Street Modified categories, the roll bar or roll cage height may be reduced from Appendix C or GCR 9.4 requirements to the highest possible height which fi ts within an installed factory-specified hardtop or convertible top. Double-hoop roll bars must fasten properly to the chassis/unibody as required by Appendix C, particularly at attachment points in the center of the car."

Quote Originally Posted by mx-p5 View Post
    Are the pics of cars in said classes?
    It would be pretty retarded of me to have done anything otherwise. CS = C Stock, STS = Street Touring Sport, CSP = C Street Prepared, SSM = Super Street Modified (yep, seriously), DP = Double Pene...er... D Prepared, AM = A Modified.

IE the NC up top in stock catagory, are lighter wheels allowed?
    Lighter wheels are allowed, they must be stock Diameter and Width however, and stock offset (+/- 5mm iirc)

And R-Comps in stock class?
    Yep.

Also, is the miata stronger in one class over another? Say stock vs street modified?
    Oh my, let me see if I can remember: In E-Stock, the 94 Miata R package is the one to have. In CS the 99 HSport is competitive, but the NC MS-R package is the one to have. Though there are some course dependencies against RX-8s that come into it.
    In STS the Miata does really well against the CRX, but you want to have the lightest model possible w/ a good VLSD.
    In CSP, they're REALLY competitive (like 25 of the top 25 positions at nationals type competitive). Just get the lightest model, or get a heavier one and update/backdate to a lighter trim, and the best engine. Like a 1990 with a 2001 VVT engine, or a base model 1999 with an 01+ engine and a 1990 dash w/ no airbag... kinda nuts like that. And all the rest are a crapshoot.
    The Miata v MR2 thing goes on in DP with them swapping national wins, SSM = how big's your wallet, same with Mod lol.

I, uh... hope that helps.

And as to a rollbar, does that also bump it from stock as it does add some chassis rigidity?
    Rollbars are legal and encouraged in all classes for open top cars.
    Last edited by aMaff; 10-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Lots of good info!!

I searched and found the rulebook but couldn't find what mods are legal for what class. I do fail at searching.

Looks like for now, i'll be playing in stock class but building the miata for ST

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Test pipe, delrin engine mounts, and lightweight flywheel throw me into street prepared, from what I gather

From this link, it looks like ST is for sedans only??
    http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rule...ing%20Category

edit-NVM, i'll be in STS

Protege to MX-5 lineage

Quote Originally Posted by DemonIAm View Post
    Test pipe, delrin engine mounts, and lightweight flywheel throw me into street prepared, from what I gather
    The mounts are legal in STS, but the rest throw you to SP, yes.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

and NVM on the rules, i was looking for the older webpages you shared before, but i see the new rulebook is in PDF format. I just printed out the stock and ST class modifications.

Looks like it's time to start a shopping list to prep the car since STS will still keep the car DD status

One snag i did see is that if the steering wheel has an integral airbag, it can't be changed. So i can't remove my wheel in exchange for a wheel with QR?

Protege to MX-5 lineage

One snag i did see is that if the steering wheel has an integral airbag, it can't be changed. So i can't remove my wheel in exchange for a wheel with QR?
    Yeah that's correct, and kind of a pain unfortunately. But since the charter of the class is to keep cars street legal (Emissions and safety compliant., obviously though that changes a bit based on where you are), they can't really make pulling the airbag a must-do mod, because let's face it, everyone would do it.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast