Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178
Results 1,771 to 1,779 of 1779

Thread: What did Chief do to his Mazdas today?

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Miata: I have had some problems lately with overheating as seen on my datalogs. Did some troubleshooting, it appeared the primary (driver’s side) fan wasn’t coming on or was running at a reduced speed. Further checks showed the fan ran fine with battery power. I also checked the input from the ECU with the A/C running (so both fans should be on), I had full voltage at the connector. Looking at the connector (a Radio Shack piece) it looked like one of the pieces was out of place which could have caused an issue. Here are what the connectors I used looked like, and the one with the connection out of place:

With that going on I decided to upgrade to more modern connectors as shown:

Purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) . They are pretty easy to use, you need to put the seals on the wires before attaching the metal connectors.

There were instructions included showing the orientation of the metal pieces so they will lock correctly into the plastic piece. On the female side there was a red plastic piece that the instructions said you could use or not. I found I couldn’t use them as they wouldn’t allow the metal pieces to snap into place. I ended up cutting some back as shown, then they worked as designed:

When you push the metal pieces into place, you can hear and feel them lock. Pushing the yellow wire seals in place required a little persuasion from a small flat blade screwdriver (I wouldn’t use something as small as a jeweler’s screwdriver as you might end up ripping the seal) but it wasn’t too bad. That’s all done, I’ll see how things work next time out.
    '81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro SS 'vert (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

Miata: I've kind of been chasing my tail with issues. After swapping the fan connectors I again suffered from the cutting out that I thought was being caused by coolant temperature. After letting the car cool some she fired back up normally. I thought about it some more and realized this is what happens when the camshaft angle sensor is failing. So after some research I stopped by the local dealer and ordered a new one. That came today so I got that installed. Before I slapped that bad boy in I compared it to the old one, and found some change. New is on the left.

You can see the differences. Whether or not this will improve performance over the long run time will tell. Another thing that changed is the part number, I got the one listed on Mazda Motorsports' site and it crossed to this one:

Test drive afterwards didn't have any problem, but it was cooler out today so it may not have been a valid test.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 06-04-2020 at 12:14 AM.

CX-5: Been having two disparate clunking noises so dove into those today. Found the driver's side rear sway end link nut extremely loose for the first one, and the passenger side rear sway bushing bracket lower nut loose for the second. Tightened both up and double-nutted the bushing bracket nut since it's done that before. Test drive showed everything now normal.

Miata: Installed the battery quick connection for my Battery Tender since I'm headed back to work soon. Easy job, I put the ring terminals underneath the bolts on the battery connections for good contact. Ran the end forward and up as there is a little opening between the body and the battery cover just made for it. Will take a picture tomorrow. Hoping the weather lets me get at least one more drive in before I go.

CX-5: Been having two disparate clunking noises so dove into those today. Found the driver's side rear sway end link nut extremely loose for the first one, and the passenger side rear sway bushing bracket lower nut loose for the second. Tightened both up and double-nutted the bushing bracket nut since it's done that before. Test drive showed everything now normal.

Miata: Installed the battery quick connection for my Battery Tender since I'm headed back to work soon. Easy job, I put the ring terminals underneath the bolts on the battery connections for good contact. Ran the end forward and up as there is a little opening between the body and the battery cover just made for it. Will take a picture tomorrow. Hoping the weather lets me get at least one more drive in before I go.

Miata: So, life intrudes etc. Got my travel arrangements and was busy getting stuff done before leaving, hence I didn't get to post a picture. I did shoot one just before I left because I know many of you need that physical proof.

You can see where the battery connector comes up from the compartment. This is how she sits for the next period of time.

After many long months away I finally got home New Year's Eve. Was supposed to be Christmas Eve but thanks to stupidity (and I'm being nice) that didn't happen. Got her out, coat of dust and all. The battery charger did its job and she fired right up. Did some driving, had to take her to a self-serve car wash to get the dust off since it was too cold for even me to hand wash. Point of reference, it takes about twenty miles for the tires to go from D-shaped to round after sitting for seven months.

Now that things have settled down somewhat, I am moving ahead with my next project. Have some front hubs with bearings ordered, already received the Redline CV2 grease I'm going to use to repack them. Just got home from the dealer and ordering the front brake dust shields that I need to match up with the Sport brakes. Figured while I'm in the area anyway I might as well put the right ones in. I also have a small welder inbound and a hanger so I can put in a proper fourth support for the muffler.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 01-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Miata: This was last week but I was having trouble getting onto my photo sharing site so I could post pictures. I found a printed cam sprocket tool and bought it. When I got it I placed my FM tool on top to show how it lines up:

The printed one is much wider so I expect it will stay in place better than the metal FM one. I don't have a timing belt job in the near future but thought I'd go ahead and pick this one up. If anyone is interested I can provide the link to the eBay auction.

Miata: The weather finally got warm enough to get some work done. Hoisted her into the air, pulled and calibrated the wideband O2 sensor which I hope will correct some surging I had when I took her out the other day. Then I moved to the rear. Removed the lower diffuser and my temporary muffler hanger (which has been installed for something like two years). I then set up the new hanger I bought:

I need to buy myself some proper ViseGrip welding pliers to make this easier the next time. I didn't have any stainless stock to practice on and my first attempt (which was vertical) was barely good enough to get it stuck in place. I ended up removing the muffler to do flat welding. Not the best I have ever done but it's solid and only ended up a little off-set:

Once that was done I put it all back together. I forgot how much of a PITA a couple of the screws at the back of the diffuser were to get in place. I literally was straining to put the middle one on the passenger side together. If I did any sort of bulk exercise I would have been screwed. In any event it is all back together and as can be seen, the muffler is well clear of the previous impact zone on the diffuser:
    Last edited by chiefmg; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.

Miata: Saturday I got out to the garage repack my new hubs. I followed the how-to listed here:
    https://www.miataturbo.net/suspensio...ont-hub-75372/
    I should note that when I disassembled my bearings the retainer with the protrusions that is shown as being for the outboard bearing in the above thread was in my inboard bearing. Don't know why the difference, I recommend doing yours one at a time and making sure you don't mix up the parts. Other than that one change, everything else worked well. Here are some pictures of the hub as delivered, one of the bearings disassembled, the retainer with protrusions:

You can see I put the separated bearing parts into a labelled cut down water bottle so I didn?t mix them up.

I used the following cleaner I picked up at Tractor Supply:

Diluted it with water and put it in a container I bought to use as my cleaner:

Wiped off all the grease before I put the parts into the solution. Swished things around a little to clean them, then removed them and wiped them down. Some compressed air helped with the backside of the retainers (they are slotted), a Q-tip worked great to clean the recesses for the balls in the retainers. After that I assembled everything, greased it with some Redline CV-2 and set them aside.

Today I went about replacing the hubs. Pretty straightforward with the right tools. Since I was doing this job I decided to put the correct dust shields on for my new Sport brakes. For anyone thinking about doing the same, here are the part numbers for the right ones:

Kind of hard to see it, but these have a protrusion that fits behind the caliper bracket (it's on the left side of the left-hand shield in the picture) that the original shields did not. I cleaned all the stickers off before installation. Here's a shot comparing the two differently sized shields:

Remove all the brake parts (like if you were replacing your rotors). The hardest part of the job was removing the dust cap that covers the hub nut. Used some AeroKroil and then flat-bladed screwdrivers to pry it off. Used my Milwaukee 1/2" impact to remove the hub nut after prying up the staked part. Once that is off the hub slips right off. Dust shield is held on with three bolts, pulled that off and cleaned everything up. After that it's just a matter of assembling in the reverse order. You have to jiggle the new hub a little to coax it to slide on. I put the hub nut on and hit it lightly with the impact to give it an initial seating:

Put all the brake components back and put the wheel on with the center cap removed. I torqued the lug nuts before the hub nut. You need to have some of the car's weight on the wheel before trying to torque the hub nut. I used 170 lb-ft for my setting, this is recommended by Mazda Motorsports for racing use. My final setting is a bit less because I have to use a short extension between the socket and my torque wrench for clearance.

Once the hub nut was torqued I jacked her back up, removed the wheel and then staked the hub nut. Put the dust cap back on (tapped it in using a dead-blow hammer) and then put the wheel on for the final time. Test drive showed everything to be good.

Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178