Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167
Results 1,661 to 1,665 of 1665

Thread: What did Chief do to his Mazdas today?

  1. #1661
    Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N KY
    I'm trying to get some work done around the house before leaving for a meeting tomorrow so I will post my work later on. For now, here's how it all turned out:

    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

  2. #1662
    Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N KY
    And now for the work log.

    I had ordered some Mahogany Mica spray paint from Automotive Touchup, received that on Wednesday. I ran some errands on Thursday, stopped in to Pep Boys to peruse their spray paint selection. I was looking for something other than black to use for the majority of the diffuser. I saw some DupliColor Trim and Bumper paint in charcoal with a matte finish that looked like it might do the trick so I bought that.





    I went to another place to buy some 1/2" width 3M double-sided tape to use on the upper part. When I removed it the tape Jet Stream provided came right off so I knew it wasn't very strong.

    Since I had never done any painting on fiberglass before I did some 'net research to find out how to prep things. Basically with a gel coat you need to degrease it first, even before sanding. There were several different methods I found, I tried some acetone but didn't like how it was reacting with the gel coat. In the end I used denatured alcohol to wipe it down several times. Next up was sanding with some 220 grit to scuff the surface. I wiped it down again with the alcohol to remove all the dust and ended up with this:



    Next step was to tape the upper diffuser where I was going to paint it body color. I bought some 3M tape that was touted to be flexible, but it wasn't very for my application. This caused me to use shorter strips in order to get the tape around the curves. I then painted the charcoal. Here is how that ended up:



    Being one piece the lower diffuser was easier to paint:



    Each piece got four coats, I didn't use any primer for this stuff.

  3. #1663
    Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N KY
    Once that had dried overnight it was on to the next step. I removed the tape on the upper piece and then taped over the charcoal. That ended up pretty much the reverse of what it had been.



    I cleaned the exposed area again with alcohol and then applied primer:



    Four coats of primer applied following the can instructions, after which I lightly sanded it with some 600 grit wet paper. This time I simply wiped it down with a wet rag. Then after a wait of 30 minutes it was time to apply the color:



    I applied three coats again following the instructions. After another 30 minute wait the clearcoat went on. I applied four coats of clear. I let that set up for a few hours and then removed the tape. Unfortunately when pulling it off I had a couple of small chips come out:



    Since I didn't want to redo the whole thing I simply used the bottle of touch-up paint with a brush I already had, it filled in nicely.

    I should also note I painted all the fasteners the same color as where they are used to blend it all in and minimize jarring contrasts.

    Before installing everything I wanted to replace the rubber muffler hangers. I heard some banging over bumps, when I checked the lower diffuser showed signs on contact on the driver's side:



    I had to juggle some hangers around from my son's Protege and Minnie but it got done. The muffler is nice and tight now. Reflectors went into their slots on the upper piece and then both upper and lower were installed.

    I already posted the end result.

  4. #1664
    Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N KY
    Some shots from today:






  5. #1665
    Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N KY
    Miata: Time has come for me to head back to work. While out at the local cars & coffee yesterday, when I left I had some stuttering. It cleared up though. Then the exhaust was really loud. When I got home crawled underneath to find one of the bolts connecting the header outlet to the rest of the system had backed off. Tightened that up and it was fine. Then later yesterday when I went to run an errand, I again had stuttering when she was cold. First thing this morning I pulled the spark plugs and found coolant in cylinder 4 (again). Looks like the wife won't be driving her while I'm gone this time.

Page 167 of 167 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •