Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176
Results 1,751 to 1,754 of 1754

Thread: What did Chief do to his Mazdas today?

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Miata: Last time I autocrossed I used the larger front sway I have. When I swapped back to the MSM bar I found the larger one had been moving side to side, resulting in damage to the bushings. The larger bar does not have any stops to prevent this from happening. Solution was to source a couple of split collars to use as stops:

I bought the first one from Amazon for $7.29. It was the last one so waited a day or two to see if the stock came back up, but it was going to be 2-3 months before they were back in stock. After some searching found the same one on a different site, this time it was $28. Overall cost was $35 which isn't bad for a set of precision stainless collars. I'll post pictures of them installed once I get the bushings I have ordered.

More deliveries set for tomorrow, then the fun begins.

Miata: Finally got around to checking for a parasitic electrical drain. To do this, you connect a multimeter between a battery terminal and the cable out (I did it using the negative terminal to keep from worrying about any shorting issues) and then put the meter on the max amp scale (in my case this was 10 amps). You need to make sure nothing is turned on when you do this as you want to measure anything that shouldn't be there. For additional info see the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs It is very thorough and should be easy for anyone to follow (even without any electrical background).

My result? A whopping 0 amp flow. Whatever I may have going on, there is nothing that is pulling down the battery in that manner. Might be looking at getting a replacement alternator after all.

So today I received a couple of packages:

Unfortunately I think the brake master cylinder I received is for an ABS equipped car so it isn't going to work for me. I ordered a new/rebuilt one from Rock Auto to correct that problem. Just for shits and grins I mounted up one of the front calipers and rotors to check wheel clearance. I am happy that it all looks good. No pictures until I get everything installed (patience is a virtue). Looks great though, the bigger Sport rotor really fills things up.
    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

Miata: After more research, it appears I received the master/booster from a MSM which has ABS (despite my telling the recycler that I didn't want ABS). I then managed to order the wrong master from Rock Auto so that one went back and I'm now waiting on the replacement.

Received the new front sway bushings the other day. Slight size difference between the new and original as seen here:

Shouldn't be an issue though.

It was a bit warmer today so went to the garage to start my brake swap. Front went on without too much trouble in about 1/2 hour. The rear though was a bigger PITA. I tried bending the splash guard but had no luck so had to cut it down some. Didn't get a picture of that, will do so when I install the other side. The rubber seal for the caliper hinge pin in the back didn't want to go on with the caliper in place, so I removed it and put the seal on the caliper (it was easier to put it in the bracket side in place).

I had cleaned/lubed the hubs the last time I did the brakes, there was some corrosion present in spite of that:

A little work with a wire brush and then lubed them again:

Driver's side is done except for bleeding, will finish up tomorrow. For comparison here is the difference between the 1.8 brakes and the Sport brakes.

Front:

Rear:

One thing to note with the coated calipers, it's a good idea to run any fasteners through the holes before trying to install on the car. There was a little bit of overspray, just enough to make it difficult to get the bolts started otherwise.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 01-29-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Miata: Finished the brake caliper/rotor install today. The cutting of the passenger side rear shield went much better, largely due to cutting in the direction that my aviation snips were made to cut.

After the cutting:

I'm not showing what the driver's side looks like. It's pretty easy to just push back the shields on the front wheels to get the clearance needed. Whenever I replace the wheel bearings I'll get the correct shields and install those.

My oldest came over to help me get things bled. Hoping to get out tomorrow and bed in the new pads.

Page 176 of 176 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176