Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 1,731 to 1,734 of 1734

Thread: What did Chief do to his Mazdas today?

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    Picked this up today:

Miata: I continued with research to try and figure out what was causing my stumbling issue. The morning of the car show it was the worst it had ever been, I thought she was going to die. As it turns out, a failing coolant temperature sensor can cause this. In looking ata data log I took I noticed the coolant temperature was fluctuating during the same time as the AFR swings. Since none of the ignition stuff I tried worked I figured why not? Ordered a new one up Monday and picked it up on Wednesday. After looking everything over and checking the wires that I extended for the sensor connector I thought it would be a good idea to use some heat insulation on the wiring at the back of the engine. Ordered that from Amazon and it showed up yesterday. Went about installing it all once I had it in hand.

In order to ease access to the sensor I removed the shock brace, wiper cowl and brake booster hard line. That opened it all up.

Once I had the sensor free I went about removing the gasket off it. This was not successful, so I went to Ace to see what I could find. Ended up with a neoprene rubber washer that I cut down to fit. Next I cut a piece of the insulation tube to slide over the wiring for the sensor. It was much larger than needed just so I could slide it over the connector, so I folded it over and zip tied it up.

For the rest of the wiring in that area (ignition coils) I went with a split blanket that Velcroed together, as so:

Here is the finished product:

Since the fix I have not had any other problems with stumbling. I was curious about the gasket for the sensor though. The parts listing for engine relays on Mazda Motorsports' site does not have a diagram so no way of knowing what is what. The factory repair manual doesn't show anything either. I stopped by the dealer to see if their diagrams would show anything and they did. There are a couple of those on order now so I'll be installing one upon receipt.

Miata: Today I swapped over to the silver Flatouts with S-Drives since the temperatures are such that the Rivals aren't too happy.
    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

Miata: So, I picked up the gaskets from the dealer Saturday. They are these:

You can see they are using aluminum now, just like oil drain plug gaskets. The recess on the thermostat housing for the reroute I have is a little smaller on the OD than the factory one so I used a sanding wheel on my Dremel to pare the gasket down to size. After a drive I checked and it's leaking a little so I will try making it a little smaller. If that doesn't cut it I'll go back to the neoprene gasket I was using.

Forgot but the other day when changing wheels over I went to adjust the muffler hanger I had installed to shift things more to the right. Turned out one of the nuts had come off the U-bolt. I had one the same size lying around so put that on, but I think I will get some Nyloc nuts from Ace to keep it from happening again.

Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174