Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centering rings

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar

Centering rings

I know my new wheels have a hub bore bigger than stock so I want some rings to make sure they don't creep around. Anyone know a good place to buy good ones? Most of what is on eBay is plastic (they call them poly carbon trying to lead people to believe they are some form of carbon fiber when they are polycarbonate).

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Usually the Big COmpanies have them

discounttiredirect
    tirerack

Blog Entries
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...riesWheels.jsp

the rings I got from them were not plastic.
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

I have a set of each kind. But I can tell you that you also don't NEED them. Believe it or not, but the hub flange that the wheel appears to rest on carries ZERO load. The entire load of the vehicle is carried by the clamping force between the hub and about a 1" zone around each of the lugs on the back of the wheel.

I've run wheels with no centering rings for thousands of miles. I know road racers who don't use centering rings. I know rallyxers who don't use centering rings. I know autoxers who don't use centering rings. You just need to make sure you slowly tighten the lug nuts in a criss-cross pattern while the wheel is in the air. The conical shape of the lug nuts will self-center the wheel.

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agreed.

Hand tight one nut.
    Hand tight the others in an "Across Pattern"
    Snug with Ratchet
    Lower Car
    Torque in an "Across Pattern"

Drive around the block and verify torque.

My wheels needed centering rings. For 15 bucks from Discount Tire it seemed like an great way to speed up the process of mounting and removing wheels. And they're metal too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten6
    maybe you should think harder maybe your the one who should be in school if you cant correct my mistakes in your head

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    See, that is what I figured about the nuts centering the wheel but every where you read people say you need the rings. I always have put the nuts on and tightened them down in the correct manner, moving in the pattern and tightening each in turn a little at a time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Blog Entries
    the rings help less technically challenged people put on their wheels on properly.
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

Yeah I'm not saying that the rings don't make it easier, just saying that if in a pinch, you don't absolutely need them. I currently use them on my 2 sets of winter wheels.

i have cheap plastic rings for my autox wheels. they just make it that little bit easier to change wheels quickly, its all nice and centered so i can hand tighten the lugs fast without having to hold the wheel in place while i do it. at 8am before an autox i'll take anything to help me do less work. mornings suck.

but yeh, don't need them to keep your wheels from falling off or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast