Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW Emissions Testing

NW Emissions Testing

Hey guys,
    I may be moving to Oregon or Washington this year for graduate school, so I figured I would post here to see if I need to do anything to my MP3 to make it legal in those states. Is there any emissions testing in those two states? If so, what is required to pass?

Administrator
    Washington requires front plates, just sayin.

In Oregon, just the Portland and Medford metropolitan areas require emissions testing.

I think it's by location in Washington as well. Parts of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, and Spokane counties.

Basically if you're in a city in either state you'll have to do some emissions testing.

Washington test: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/
    - gas cap leak test
    - OBD test

Oregon test: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/emissions.shtml
    - OBD test
    Last edited by kansei; 01-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Whatcha studyin?

Molecular Biology is the program I applied to at both schools. They both called me in for an interview (all expenses paid ) so I feel like there is a fairly good chance I will be accepted to at least one of the two schools. Either Oregon (Eugene) or Washington State (Pullman), so I figured I would see what I'm getting myself into as far as the car is concerned.

Thanks for the info Chris, that helps a lot. The front plate isn't a big deal as Iowa requires them as well, but it would be damn nice to get rid of that damn thing..

If you're a student, you don't have to register your car where you're going to school. You could keep it registered in Iowa, and go to school in California and not have to worry about emissions testing.

I was forced to register my car in AZ when I went to school there, maybe because I was on the radar (moving violation). Might depend on the state?

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaTom View Post
    If you're a student, you don't have to register your car where you're going to school. You could keep it registered in Iowa, and go to school in California and not have to worry about emissions testing.
    Hmm, interesting. I'll look into that, thanks Tom.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP5 View Post
    I was forced to register my car in AZ when I went to school there, maybe because I was on the radar (moving violation). Might depend on the state?
    weird. Tons of people at ASU have their home state plates. As Tom said, if you're a full time student you should be ok. I got messed up when I couldn't make it back to CT to renew my driver's license and had to get a NY license. If you keep all your permanent address stuff in Iowa you should be fine.

Wait, are my eyes deceiving me?? JoshP5, is that you?!
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

I knew people at Colorado State with Hawaii plates on their cars in Colorado- and they didn't ship them. They just lived in Hawaii and bought a car in CO but registered it in Hawaii. I'm just guessing that you don't need any kind of inspection in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by kansei View Post
    Wait, are my eyes deceiving me?? JoshP5, is that you?!
    That's what I said too!!

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaTom View Post
    I knew people at Colorado State with Hawaii plates on their cars in Colorado- and they didn't ship them. They just lived in Hawaii and bought a car in CO but registered it in Hawaii. I'm just guessing that you don't need any kind of inspection in Hawaii.
    That's probably what I'll end up doing actually. I have a feeling it's cheaper to register in Iowa as well.. I only pay $75 for the MP3 and just over $100 for the P5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast