Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed3 Traction Control

Omaha Nebraska and random bodies of water

Speed3 Traction Control

So I bought my P5 back in 03 and mostly kept it in warmer climates. Last year I moved back to Nebraska, I have a field job that lets me live wherever I want, so closer to family+job=nice.

This winter it was warm enough in December to rain but then it froze within an hour and I wasnt home sadly. I found out that no traction control and ice is a no go as I went down 2 hills sideways...there was also a couple of snows over the winter and ya my car just kinda laughed at me for trying.

So I have been looking at maybe getting a new car that has traction control, I know theres some dealerships that still have 09speed3's, my local has 2, and I was hoping someone on here has some experience in the ice and snow with one. Sadly I know this is a bit of an open question as everyones driving style is different, but when its snow and ice I do actually drive slow and sane.

Of course this kinda depends on how much the dealerships drop the prices after the '10 comes out since they still want full price right now.
    My...Car...Is...Not...A...Taxi!!!:argh:

Blog Entries
    the only thing usefull on ice are spikes. traction control will do nothing for you other than piss you off. EBFD is nice to have in the turns and such, which the P5 (abs) has, but the speed3 might have a more advanced one.

but honestly, traction control will do nothing for you on ice. did you have snow tires?
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

I had a Speed 3 that I drove on snow, only had problems going up my driveway and I had to turn the traction control off, otherwise I would not make it up (it's a short hill). I used a set of Hankook Ice Bears during winter time. Never had any issues on the highway or local streets, I don't drive like gramma but I'm not an ass either

the e-brake works very nice though
    2009 Mazda 3 Sport, starting over...

Ive never had snow tires on my cars, mainly lived where I didnt have to worry about it...since I was offshore working when my new ones were put on I cant even say exactly what I have now.
    I guess I could look into snow tires I just wasnt sure how much difference they would make without having any sort of traction control.

Administrator
    Snow tires make a huge difference. I guarantee even a Miata with snow tires is better in the snow than say a subaru with summer tires on it..

The tires are the single most important item for winter driving. I don't know much about Nebraska though. How long are the winters, how much snow, how often does it snow (do they have time to clear the roads between storms or is is more constant?)
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Its usually 0° from mid-December until around March but they dont get a lot of snow and normally just a few inches at a time. The streets are usually cleared about 2 days after since I live about 2 blocks outside of city limits, and even then its 1 pass so the residential streets arent very clear...the main streets are cleared same day or next day.

No winter-pwning Speed6s in your area?
    - The man from Nantucket.

I have yet to see a speed of any model in Omaha it makes me kinda sad.

Administrator
    a speed6 on summer tires still sucks in the winter compared to a FWD car with no computer nannies and snow tires.

Hmm. So pretty short winter, and not a whole lot of snow. Guess that means you don't need to go balls out and get Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Maybe some of the "sport" snow tires if you don't like the feeling of driving on a really mushy good snow tire, or maybe just a fairly cheapy snow tires like one of the ones from Hankook? If you're keeping the car for years might as well get a set of steelies or cheap wheels for them. On a Protege you can run 14" wheels with some 185 width tires for the winter. With MSP brakes you can fit 15s fine.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Think of the exclusivity!!
    - The man from Nantucket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast