Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tires for the 6

New tires for the 6

Our stock Michelins have outlived their lifespan. I started calling around to see what local people had goin on. One local tire store recommended Vredestein Ultrac. Has anyone used these or have any feedback on them? They want $189 per tire with mounting, balanacing and valve stems. I know that I can get something cheaper from tire rack, but after shipping and paying for the mouting et. al. it would probably end up being about the same price.

The other options I was given were some Nokian all seasons, Fuzion VRi and Triangle Talons (never even heard of these, but based on their website they make some mean tractor tires for john deere...).

Administrator
    Um wow yeah no thanks on some weirdo brand for that price.

Just check tirerack and look at the rates for their installers in your area.

Are you looking for a long lasting tire that still performs ok? Summer only?
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    I recently priced out some Goodyear Eagle GTs, they were cheaper than your quote installed at a Goodyear place (the exact price escapes me now and I am not sure where the estimate is). I am sure if you shop around you can get better tires. I have heard of Vredestein but not sure of how good they are.

Blog Entries
    what is the size of the tire?
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

I could go for either a summer only or a good all season because we have a set of snows. I'll have to check out TireRack's install rates around here. The place pushing the Vredesteins is one of their installers.

They are 215/50/17 which is not an uncommon tire size, it was also used on Accords before they changed the body style.

Administrator
    If you have a set of snows don't waste your time with all seasons.

Here's some great tires to consider:
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - $92
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=5

Kumho Ecsta SPT - $104
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8

They should ship from their NJ warehouse so they may arrive overnight (I know to CT they always come overnight). You can have them shipped directly to the installer too.

Goodyear service centers in Albany will mount 50 series tires for $15.95 each. Can you see the huge savings yet? Shipping should be $40-50

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kansei View Post
    If you have a set of snows don't waste your time with all seasons.

Here's some great tires to consider:
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - $92
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=5

Kumho Ecsta SPT - $104
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8

They should ship from their NJ warehouse so they may arrive overnight (I know to CT they always come overnight). You can have them shipped directly to the installer too.

Goodyear service centers in Albany will mount 50 series tires for $15.95 each. Can you see the huge savings yet? Shipping should be $40-50
    +1 on the dunlops. you also get a $75 amazon giftcard. or 50 MIR.

also another tire you might wanna consider is the hankook ventus v12. its a brand new tire though, so you wont find too many reviews. but it does look nice.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

The only Dunlops that I have experience with are the stock 16s on a P5. They weren't too bad. That may be the way to go, I could get out for like 115 per tire installed...

I was just looking at Discount Tire and they have Hankook K104 for $87 each and free shipping. I am thinking that is the way to go. I had them for the P5 and was happy with them.
    Last edited by AlbNYMZ6; 04-17-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Administrator
    The dunlops linked are about 12x better than the stock P5 dunlops. Those were kinda just OK all seasons (which became horrible all seasons as they wore down).

The DZ101 definitely won't last as long as those, maybe 30k miles? More or less depending on your driving style of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbNYMZ6 View Post
    The only Dunlops that I have experience with are the stock 16s on a P5. They weren't too bad. That may be the way to go, I could get out for like 115 per tire installed...

I was just looking at Discount Tire and they have Hankook K104 for $87 each and free shipping. I am thinking that is the way to go. I had them for the P5 and was happy with them.
    noooooooooo. not the k104! get the dunlops. you'll be much happier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast