Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill switch and push start button

Kill switch and push start button

Hey guys, I posted this on another forum as a request and thought someone here might be interested. This is what it looks like when it's done.

http://s317.photobucket.com/albums/m...chandstart.flv

The original idea was to combine this with the key from the CX-7 that looks like a credit card so all you had to do was use the switch to have the car "ON", but the dealer is giving me crap about those systems being linked to the ECU and not being able to use it on my car. Right now I could get rid of the key but then anybody could start it...

Here are the instructions to do the button and the switch

Tools and materials you will need:

Phillips screw driver
    wire cutter
    electrical tape
    crimp on butt connectors
    wire to extend the 12V feed - don't remember what gauge
    wire to extend the ignition signal - don't remember what gauge

30 amp automotive relay, MAKE SURE IT'S NA (Normally Open) - (12VDC/30A SPST Automotive Relay)
    relay socket - I didn't use this but it will make it easier to connect the wires to the relay (Prewired Relay Socket)
    switch - this is not what I used but it's the same idea (TOGGLE BLUE SWITCH)
    push button - this is what I used, you can use a different one (PUSH BUTTON ENGINE START Black Trim)

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Remove the two screws from the bottom of the steering column

3. Pull the top part up and press the rubber tabs from the inside so you can take it off, there's 4 on each side

4. Disconnect the bulb that lights the key so you can pull the bottom part down

5. Remove the ignition harness

6. There are two wires you need to cut, the big red one (12V feed) and the ignition wire (Grey with black stripe). Use the crimp on butt connectors to connect these wires with the ones you bought. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CUT THEM TOO CLOSE TO THE HARNESS! Run the 4 wires behind the dash towards the bottom of the center console. Cover the connections with electrical tape. - I used red for the 12V feed and blue for the ignition.

7. Pull the center cup holders and shift boot off, remove the two bolts shown. After you pull this piece off (be careful not to break the tabs) remove the cigarette lighter. Depending on the switch you get you will have to drill a hole to secure the switch.

8. Connect the wires coming from the 12V feed to the relay (see diagram) and to the switch. You will see the same diagram printed on the relay which will help identify the prongs (you can see this in the pic for step 9). The 12V and ground can be taken from the cable that powers the cigarette lighter (orange is 12V, black is ground). I cut the connector off since I'm not planing on using the lighter again, It's up to you if you decide to cut it or not. Cover all connections with electrical tape.

9. Connect he wires coming from the ignition to the button, if your button lights up then you can use the same wires from the lighter to power it. You will notice I have more wires going into my button, that's because my switch lights up and I wired my boost gauge here. The arrow shows the cables that power the lighter.

10. Make sure all connections are secure and covered with electrical tape. You may now reconnect the ignition harness and the battery to make sure everything works fine. You can hide all the components in the center console and put everything back like it was in reverse order. It will look something like this when it's done.

You can place the switch in a different place, and depending on the button you get you can change the location as well. There are many options out there so it's up to you. The wires should be the same (this was done on a Speed3) but you should make sure before you cut anything.

If someone would like help and lives in the Cleveland area, send me a PM. I will be at the MazdaFest 2009 so I could also help you out there. The whole process should take about 1 hour or less.
    2009 Mazda 3 Sport, starting over...

i have always wanted a push start with a kill switch, and u sir did an awesome job

It is pretty cool and all but why not just turn the key, I mean as it is right now you still gotta put the key in, as you still have to do with most push start applications. I guess its just all for the cool factor huh? Anyways, great job, it looks to be very well done and clean!

Administrator
    Moved this to the 3 how-to section since it's model specific. Nice work!

I definitely agree with John on this one but I still applaud your ingenuity in getting a working push button start.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

I want
    - Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

thanks guys, the idea still is to get rid of the key but MAZDA was giving me shit about the wireless key I wanted to use. I have another system I can set up but haven't done it yet in hopes I can still go the MAZDA way. Whenever I decide to finish it I'll post results, part of the reason I haven't done it yet is if I ever sell the car later most likely I would have to take it off.

Keyless would be awesome!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tutuga View Post
    thanks guys, the idea still is to get rid of the key but MAZDA was giving me shit about the wireless key I wanted to use. I have another system I can set up but haven't done it yet in hopes I can still go the MAZDA way. Whenever I decide to finish it I'll post results, part of the reason I haven't done it yet is if I ever sell the car later most likely I would have to take it off.
    The card-key is advanced keyless entry/ignition and yeah it's ECU controlled, they weren't just giving you shit about that. There's a myriad of keyless entry systems used by Mazda

well all I need is a couple of keys and the module that detects the signal, I can put it together myself. It won't be the setup that MAZDA uses but it will work, just need to add another relay and won't need to mess with the ECU.

Administrator
    Yeah but the ECU is involved on the advanced keyless system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast