Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Exhaust

Aftermarket Exhaust

so let me preface this post by saying, i'm just venting for a minute....

okay, i got my mazda 3 a catback exhaust about a month ago and i know new england salt and snow doesn't do wonders for anything that can rust but is it completely ridiculous that my exhaust is ALREADY rusting. Yes, i clean it as often as possible (probably once a week or so) and i got it done at a shop that did great work on my old car, and my boyfriends car....why is it rusted!!!!

GRRRR....

but it does sound really nice
    Current mods: Fujita F5 CAI, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust

Coming up: ... haven't figured it out yet

Administrator
    My guess? they didn't use stainless for the welds they did. or they didn't use stainless flanges. Like the MAM midpipe for the Protege, the pipe is stainless but the welds and flanges rust.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Same happened on one of the exhausts I used to have on my Civic. The pipe was stainless, but the welds weren't, and it fell apart after a couple years.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SATimko View Post
    Same happened on one of the exhausts I used to have on my Civic. The pipe was stainless, but the welds weren't, and it fell apart after a couple years.
    werd. I blame Massachusetts for this one, they love salt like NY does.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Agreed. Keep an eye on the welds. The moment you start to see anything funky, take it back to the place that did it and complain. Re-iterate the fact that it's a stainless exhaust, if it truely is.

it's supposed to be stainless, and it's from a pretty common exhaust shop. the same thing happened to a friend of mine who got his jeep done recently.

salt has to be a major factor too though, i think i'll bring it back as soon as i stop being lazy and make time to do it...

thanks

Yeah, I'd just keep an eye on it after that to make sure it doesn't get worse.

id move somewhere warm.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_ag View Post
    id move somewhere warm.
    i like that idea best!!

Blog Entries
    its all in the type of stainless steel they use. the stk mazda3 exhaust is stainless steel, and it rusts pretty bad. but the mazdaspeed accessory exhaust for the pro has been clean for years.
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast