Page 1 of 253 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a miata

Thinking about a miata

So I have been wanting one for quite some time. I do not plan to have this as my only car, and I do have an extra space in the garge. I have read lots of faqs on miata.net and elsewhere. I would guess that winter would be a good time to be in the market for one. I really like the NB styling but I think that for my purposes an NA would be sufficient. So does anyone have some tips for me, or links of things to read? Recently there seems to be more reasonable deals on craigslist, in the summer prices seemed to skyrocket. Here are a couple I found, let me know what you think.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/897293412.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/869985854.html

Amaff or Miaturbo would be the people to talk to. they've ridiculous amounts of work to thier cars

i had thought about it as well, but the wife said "NOPE!"

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Administrator
    Prices on Miatas here are skyrocketing right now, it sucks just as I'm ready to buy on, I'm totally gonna get raped.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

still plenty of sub 3000 cars here

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Quote Originally Posted by kansei View Post
    Prices on Miatas here are skyrocketing right now, it sucks just as I'm ready to buy on, I'm totally gonna get raped.
    haha...just your luck chris!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buy one and don't look back.

I bought one this year, and love it so far. Great car. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Really, there's no such thing as a bad Miata (well, barring lack of maintenance, but you know the idea). It's not like most cars where you have to stay away from certain years or packages. If you're getting one for competition (doesn't sound like you are), different years have different advantages in different classes, but in general the rule is "Buy the nicest miata you can afford." Definitely check the condition of the top and for any rust round the rear of the rocker panels. The 1990-1991 had crank pulley issues that are well documented and are caused by improper maintenance. Lesser known is that the NA8s have also had issues with the same thing, again due to poorly done maintenance.

Read this:
    http://www.miata.net/faq/inspection_list.html
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will probably begin auto crossing it, but do not expect to be competitive, so no worries about classes.

What is an NA8, has the 1.8?
    How easy/cheap is it to replace a rear window?
    How much life can I expect out of a miata that is close to 200K?

I want to go drive some, but I was really trying to hold off buying for a bit longer...

I know 1 person with 250K on the engine, and 1 with 275K (engine replaced at 120ish). Definitely don't fear getting one with years on it. There are tons for sale locally, just keep your eyes peeled. And try to find one with a hard top, cause they are hella expensive to buy seperately. 1996, has the bigger engine, and no OBD2, IIRC.

Depending on the year of the car, the rear window is not so bad. Here is a good link on the subject: http://www.miata.net/garage/window_repl.html

Administrator
    94 got the 1.8 and had no OBDII still

if you ask me, OBDII is great.. so easy to pass emissions with modified emissions equipment
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Page 1 of 253 1231151101 ... LastLast