Page 2 of 253 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a miata

Quote Originally Posted by roy obanion View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I will probably begin auto crossing it, but do not expect to be competitive, so no worries about classes.
    i think you will think differently after your first AutoX

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Maybe...if so what are good years/packages?

Quote Originally Posted by roy obanion View Post
    Maybe...if so what are good years/packages?
    As has been determined... they're all good. What are you looking to do with it? lol

ES? Get an R package 94. CS get a 99 sport. STS2 get any NA base package w/ the VLSD. CSP? Get any NA and drop a 1999 motor in it. Etc :p
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Thanks Andrew you're the best. As I thought, I need to just get one. Tylor got me thinking I should know more about classes. Since I have never auto crossed, I don't think I should worry too much about it. I think for now I will get the cheapest one with a good history, then I could always change things.
    Last edited by roy obanion; 11-07-2008 at 01:54 PM.

compete in teh stock class, just see what all CAN be upgraded and go that route

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

So on Friday, I went to this sketchy-ass dealer near my house, sort of. I just wanted to look at and drive an NB to get a baseline of what I should find in a miata.

Well I tell the sales guy, I want to look at that miata you have and take it for a drive. He asks how am I going to pay for it. I tell him I will pay cash for it. He asks if I have it on me. I say to him, do I look stupid of course not. Okay do I have a trade in? No, it would be a second car for me. Okay, he tells me the thing is they require a deposit to go on a test drive. Just 100 dollars or something.

I tell him, well I don't really carry that kind of cash on me (remember this is sort of a rough part of town). I tell him you know last year I looked at proteges here and they took me right out, no questions asked. Did I buy one here? No, they were all really beat up. He says okay I'll go get the keys and we can start it up.

He comes back out with the manager and he lets me start it up. Asks me what I think. I think I need to drive it. Well they can't do that without a deposit. Someone can't come with me? That's not really it, there's a lot of reasons they ask for the deposit. I finally say to these guys okay, you want to play games, I'm going to leave.

Unfortunately that was the only free time I had to look at cars, ended up pretty busy the rest of the weekend. Mostly I am just ranting, but I remembered why I hate car dealers. Anyway I will go somewhere else and take a drive sometime this week.

Administrator
    um yeah if they won't let you drive the car, screw them. Take your money somewhere that takes you more seriously.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Yeah, car dealerships suck, you just have to play the game. If you get the bad vibe, you get out. It's that simple. Your biggest asset at even a good dealership (because lets face it, they're all out to make money, not to help you) is the ability to walk out if a) anything smells the least bit funny, or b) you're not getting the deal that YOU want. I made it half way to the door when Honda of Gwinnett offered me $4000 for the P5. I was laughing the whole way. I chucled, put my print out from Kelley Blue Book I got that morning on the table, and said, "If that's the best you can do, we're done here." The salesman was a bit more cooperative after that.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Yeah, one thing you need to remember about dealerships: they don't give a damn about you, just your money. Fuck them all. If possible, i'd recommend test driving a dealer car, then finding an owner to buy from. Unfortunately owners can also be tricky, but in the end you're doing better price.

As far as what car, yeah, you can't go wrong as long as the motor is sound, and the frame is straight. Don't forget, all NA's are at least 10 years old now, and will most likely need suspension work, especially if you're planning to autocross the car, or even if you want a nice riding car. Check for rust along the rocker panels, especially in front of the rear wheels.
    I work hard, and play harder. OK, I don't work that hard, but I still play hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    --------------------------__\
    | Miada Parts ..............[]|'[];\,__
    |_...._....__________===|=| |__|
    "(@)'(@)""""""* |(@)(@)*=(@)

Thanks, I do plan to buy from an owner. I prefer it, and being a spare car I can wait until I find one I like. I just need to drive a decent one since I never have. Anyone know some miata people in my area?

Good to know about the suspension, should have been obvious...

Page 2 of 253 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast