+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: RX-8 Pros vs. Cons

RX-8 Pros vs. Cons

Hey Rotards!

I am really thinking of joining the gang soon. I have a little under a year left on my MSP payments...I hope the car makes it that long.....and am really interested in the RX-8, but I need some experienced 8 owners to chime in on the Pros and Cons...It doesnt have to be engine or performance specific. I really just want to learn everything I can in order to make an informed decision.

What's the word fellas? Keep in mind that I have NO rotary experience....so I might need help with engine terms...

B&
    OK I'm not to knowlegdable with the RX8 SPECIFICALLY however alot of the cars engine is near the same as any other 13B

Here are a few things I can recommend

Make sure the car is up to date on all the flashes that were offered.

Make sure the car has no visable OIL LEAKS (04's had a big problem with oil leaks/consumption)

Check the air filter to make sure it is not horribly dirty

check the spark plugs to see how the car is running (should be golden brown to lightly dark, any oil deposits run)

check the oil dipstick and under the oil cap
    milky color = crap oil or blowing coolant into the housing
    smells like gas could mean low compression one one or more faces

check the underbody for signs of rust, bad bushings etc

drive the car (with the radio off and windows up) listen for any creeks, whines, clunks

Make sure you bring the car up to redline a few times during the test drive.. you want to make sure the car has full power through the powerband and that there is no chugging or loss of power in the higher rpm's

make sure u run through all the gears and make sure there is no crunching. RX trannies are not forgiving once they begin to grind.

That is currently all I can think off of the top of my head..

lots to look at like any car just with a rotary BE PICKY!!!

Thanks for the input Dave, it's greatly appreciated...A lot of those suggestions should go under rules for looking at any new car.

Where's Riken at? I bet he has some comments too...I'd love to hear about the interior and anything about how well they adapt to mods...Anything that I buy I usually end up f-ing around with.

The RX-8 guys in my local club are always talking about issues with their 8's. Anything from the tail lights filling up with water, to the 2nd gear syncros going out, to having to get new motors after 15,000 miles, to the clutch pedal bracket being weak....... honestly, I was amazed listening to them talk about all the issues with their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaTom View Post
    The RX-8 guys in my local club are always talking about issues with their 8's. Anything from the tail lights filling up with water, to the 2nd gear syncros going out, to having to get new motors after 15,000 miles, to the clutch pedal bracket being weak....... honestly, I was amazed listening to them talk about all the issues with their cars.
    good info....I have definitely heard about the tail-light fishtank issue from a few people...Is rotary engine failure common among all RX's...or is there just issues with the 8?

I guess a better question is, Do they have a lot of mods? ....You can have the most reliable car in the world, but in the hands of amatuer tuning they can turn in to buckets...

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaTom View Post
    That just tells you if you can't commit to the car, it will own your wallet. If you plan to go for your first rotary vehicle I advise you to get something cheaper like a FB or FC since you can get a good body with higher mileage car between 2-6k USD. That way you can learn at a cheaper cost.

B&
    rotary engien failures are normally contributed to lack of oil or coolant or over heating..

if the idle is rough walk away, if it idles high walk away..

you should plan to drive it for 20-30 minutes if the car is runnign bad when warm walk away.

also after driving it try and start it when warm if it starts hard walk away..

B&
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleagent View Post
    That just tells you if you can't commit to the car, it will own your wallet. If you plan to go for your first rotary vehicle I advise you to get something cheaper like a FB or FC since you can get a good body with higher mileage car between 2-6k USD. That way you can learn at a cheaper cost.
    I agree with alot of that but dont get an FB for yoru first car eith an FC or RX8

non turbo 13B fuel injected is the way to go..

Quote Originally Posted by SpooledupRacing View Post
    I agree with alot of that but dont get an FB for yoru first car eith an FC or RX8

non turbo 13B fuel injected is the way to go..
    Well like I said if you have lots of money to spend go for the rx8. Starting cost will be around 10k-16k depending on the miles and condition.

Late 80's rx7 FC will a good body but higher mileage should be around 3-6k. Now just there alone is a savings of 7-10k. With that money you can really mod and make your rx7 really fast and pretty.

But that is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashKelly View Post
    Is rotary engine failure common among all RX's...or is there just issues with the 8?
    The motor injects oil from the crankcase into the rotor to help lube the apex seals on the tips of the mysterious spinning triangle. Drive long enough without checking/adding oil and you run low on oil and run into problems. I'm not sure if the guy that had his motor replaced at 15,000 miles was staying on top of the oil or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashKelly View Post
    I guess a better question is, Do they have a lot of mods? .....
    No powertrain mods that I'm aware of.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast