Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3g Protege: How To - Motor mount replacement (missing rear at this point)

Administrator

3g Protege: How To - Motor mount replacement (missing rear at this point)

someone on another forum wanted a quick synopsis so here's what I made up on the spot:

Front: reach under car, two bolts (17mm I think). then a bolt through the middle of the mount (stock intake stuff might be in the way ). Don't jack the car up, it'll make it hard when it doesn't need to be. with the car level there's no tension on the mount.

Passenger Side: support the engine --I used blocks of wood on a floor jack under the oil pan, wouldn't really recommend this I'm sure there's a better way (engine hoist would be one better way for sure). undo bolts holding bracket to engine (3 bolts.. will need a deep socket, and I think 17mm again). Then there's a couple small bolts holding a brace to the mount, then two bolts holding the mount to the chassis.

Drivers Side: support the transmission (same as above applies). Remove the strut tower brace (17mm I think), battery (10mm on tie down and terminals), and battery tray (10mm again, but deep socket or extension may be needed for one or two bolts). Unbolt old mount, remove, bolt new mount in. The bracket mounted to the transmission does not need to be removed but it can be if you want.

I can take pics and stuff if someone wants me to (well I'm sure I already have all the pics I need just gotta dig through them). I just figured this is a how-to that should probably exist on here for new members.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Front Motor Mount:

Is located at the front of the engine, near the base of the radiator on the driver's side. Park the car on a flat surface, there is no need to ramp, or jack up the car.

Here is a pic of the new mount installed. the factory one is solid black.

There are 3 bolts that you must remove. I highly recommend spraying these three bolts down with PB Blaster, or it's equivalent an hour or 2 before beginning work. The first 2 bolts are under the front of the car.

Then you must remove the crossbolt which runs through the center of the mount itself. You will need to remove the stock air intake for room. you can either take this bolt off from above the car, or from below. if you do it from below, you might need to remove the under skirting.

Here is a pic of my sock mount. It is all busted up!

Last edited by DemonIAm; 06-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.

OK, DAMMIT!!!! I can not for the life of me get the cross bolt out of the front mount. I have snapped 1 extension, and busted one ratchet's internals trying to get that bolt out. PB Blaster did nothing.... the bolt is not rusted at all, it just will not move. I tried breaker bar with cheater, leg power, everything.

If this is the easiest mount to get out, then I am fucked...

any ideas?
    I guess need someone local with an airgun..

Administrator
    it is the easiest. Here's a trick.. don't at all jack up the car. If the car is jacked up or on an uphill, it won't work.

not jacked up at all... lemme move to flater land and try...

it's not a matter of the bolt being stuck in the rubber, the mount is loose as can be. I am parked on a flat lot.. The problem is the nut on the bolt going through the rubber, that I can not get off.
    I called a local shop, and the guy told me to swing by and he'd pop it with the airgun. so I headed over, and now he's too busy to do it today. ghey...

Administrator
    yeah I could see that nut getting rusted and such. It is really close to the ground after all.

I always use an 18" breaker bar on it for what it's worth.

the nut is "locked" to the bracket, you should only have to unscrew the bolt. once the bolt is free, then the nut comes out. (at least thats how i remember it)
    Nik
    2011 MX-5 GT PRHT

Administrator
    the bolt is "locked" to the bracket (square head) and only the nut moves, as I remember it.

i knew it was one of those
    Nik
    2011 MX-5 GT PRHT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast