Thread: How do you CX-7 guys like the ride?

How do you CX-7 guys like the ride?

Asking on behalf of my gf who has had a recent interest in the CX-7. Figure I would get some insider reviews. Performance takes a backseat to ride comfort and versatility in her eyes. Any input on these would help. Thanks!

my wife has a CX-7, and I have an RX-8. So please take that into account....

My wife's '07 is nice, standard sound system (1 disc) and leather seats. She loves it. As far as the drive goes, Its a nice ride, has some get up and go for a 4 banger in a mini-suv. To me, it feels like its riding on air when I drive it, but then again, I'm now used to the road-feel of the RX-8.

Its a nice vehicle, and sure beats loading the groceries in the 8. Either way, I prefer the ride of the RX8 cause I feel like I'm touching the road.

Downsides of the CX-7.... gas milage, and premium fuel.

Administrator
    The new (08+) CX-7 doesn't require premium fuel, but I don't even want to know how bad the performance is in a turbo car running on 87 octane.

The CX-7 sacrifices fuel economy in the name of performance. Going from a sports car to it may make it feel like it's "riding on air", but drive any of the competitors near the price point of the CX-7 and it'll feel like a brutal sports car. That being said, I definitely do find the CX-7 comfortable and *gasp* pretty fun to drive too!

It's a pitty that it gets the fuel economy of a full size V8 SUV though o_O
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

With 37,000 miles on our very early build CX-7, my wife loves driving it. It does handle very well. Over 2 years of ownership, too.

We get 22-23 MPG in our FWD version. She install an intake, bigger intercooler, and a BOV. We now roll on 20's, as stock tires suck ass.

The newer version will run on 87 octane, but from reviews I have seen on my CX-7 forum, performance loss is noticeable, once you go to premium. Tough to go back.

Our calculations are $1.50 or so saved per tank if you went with cheap gas.

We are very happy with our CX-7, and it was the main reason I traded in my protege 5 for a speed 3.

The CX-7 is our true Road Warrior, used on all our road trips. The 100% keyless operation, easy to use touch screen and voice programmable navigation are pluses, but the big bonus is the backup camera. really helpful. Keeps from flattening stupid kids sitting behind the car.

The big thing I must say to anyone looking to buy a Mazda and looking for MPG, Mazda is not about that. It is about the spirit and fun of driving, I think. If I wanted high MPG, I would be in a boring civic or smug alerting Prius.

\end rant.

Go drive a soulless Murano and RDX, then hop in a CX-7. It worked for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    With 37,000 miles on our very early build CX-7, my wife loves driving it. It does handle very well. Over 2 years of ownership, too.

We get 22-23 MPG in our FWD version. She install an intake, bigger intercooler, and a BOV. We now roll on 20's, as stock tires suck ass.

The newer version will run on 87 octane, but from reviews I have seen on my CX-7 forum, performance loss is noticeable, once you go to premium. Tough to go back.

Our calculations are $1.50 or so saved per tank if you went with cheap gas.

We are very happy with our CX-7, and it was the main reason I traded in my protege 5 for a speed 3.

The CX-7 is our true Road Warrior, used on all our road trips. The 100% keyless operation, easy to use touch screen and voice programmable navigation are pluses, but the big bonus is the backup camera. really helpful. Keeps from flattening stupid kids sitting behind the car.

The big thing I must say to anyone looking to buy a Mazda and looking for MPG, Mazda is not about that. It is about the spirit and fun of driving, I think. If I wanted high MPG, I would be in a boring civic or smug alerting Prius.

end rant.

Go drive a soulless Murano and RDX, then hop in a CX-7. It worked for us!
    The CX-7 is FWD? Is that the newer or older version? I was under the impression it was 4WD...

While I'm no stickler for MPG as my N/A sedan gets a measely 25mpg the CX-7 being FWD is disapointing. Not to come off as an elitest but I suppose it was done for performance purposes. As I know firsthand how AWD=crazy drivetrain loss it still sucks because my gf does alot of snowboarding and having an SUV slip-n-slide in the snow wouldn't work.

=(

^^^ the CX-7 can be had in either FWD or AWD.

to the OP - get a Mazda5 instead.
    Nik
    2011 MX-5 GT PRHT

Quote Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
    ^^^ the CX-7 can be had in either FWD or AWD.

to the OP - get a Mazda5 instead.
    Thats good! As per the Mazda5 are you talking about for myself or my gf? I personally am not a huge fan of the 5 door hatches. Are they boosted stock? They look like beefier 5 door Mazda3's.

Not boosted stock, but they share the 3 framework, essentially. car and driver is stuffing a MS3 motor in a 5 right now, actually.

with some good mods, the CX-7 has a lot more giddup and go.

My gf's interests have shifted from the Mazda CX-7 to the Nissan Rogue. Sadly I know nothing about the latter car and only slightly more about the CX-7. Thanks for the help though!

We had to choose between the rouge and the cx7 and we chose the cx7 touring awd turbo and am glad for the choce we made. The rouge has no power compared to Mazda. Gl on ur choice.