Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping it "Legal"

Keeping it "Legal"

when you take an engine/harness out of a 2002 ODBII car like mine, does the engine put in have to be an 2002 OBII or newer to be kept legal. Or can I just use an OBDII engine/harness from any year that uses OBDII.

Also if you use a Standalone EMS do you loose the ability to use OBDII. Like plugging in the code reader to see if there are any codes? Effectively loosing its legality

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure that the "Standalone" will probably make the Stock ECU Poop Itself...

I have decided to remove the stock ECU Completely..

I was just wondering because all they do for emissions testing around here is plug in the code reader, No codes you pass.

"Sweet Jesus Thats Loud!" BRIAN MP5T's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

That's Fucked...

I'd pass... and I run a Standalone
    2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R
    2008 Mazdaspeed3 (daily)

Is this a "I know the guy" pass or a legit pass.

If all they do is look for codes, I'd pass. I don't know how, but I never throw a CEL for EGR or O2s. I have my MAF plugged in just to avoid the CEL.

I run the Haltech as a piggyback. Haltech controls the engine, stock ECU does all the instrument panels, lighting, etc
    2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R
    2008 Mazdaspeed3 (daily)

Basically the reason I'm asking is cause I'm trying to get my KL project underway. And if I can use any Manual V6 car from 97-up (mx6/626/probe) to use a donor car I will. If not I'll have to find a 02 manual 626. which is rare and will be expensive.

Generally the engine you put in has to be the same model year, or newer. It has to be an engine availible to your manufacturer in another model line (so legaly you can't put in a Toyota engine in your Mazda. But you can take a 2.3l MS3 engine and put it in a Miata). As far as hooking up the OBD-2 scanner, part of emissions test is to also read the VIN stored on the ECU and match it to the car. Companies can burn your VIN into a donor ECU.

As far as stand alone, it will fail emissions unless it's OBD-2 compliant.
    I work hard, and play harder. OK, I don't work that hard, but I still play hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    --------------------------__\
    | Miada Parts ..............[]|'[];\,__
    |_...._....__________===|=| |__|
    "(@)'(@)""""""* |(@)(@)*=(@)

Quote Originally Posted by Protege v2.5 View Post
    Is this a "I know the guy" pass or a legit pass.
    you can't 'know a guy' for OBD-2 testing... Car has to be there, and hooked up.
    I work hard, and play harder. OK, I don't work that hard, but I still play hard
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    --------------------------__\
    | Miada Parts ..............[]|'[];\,__
    |_...._....__________===|=| |__|
    "(@)'(@)""""""* |(@)(@)*=(@)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast