Thread: Clearcoat Failure

Clearcoat Failure

It looks like this. UV radiation damages the clearcoat until it begins to flake off. At this point, it cannot be fixed unless the area is repainted.

Paul
    99 Protege LX 5spd, highlight silver: Klasse AIO / FourStar UPP x2 / FourStar UPP spray / Nattys Paste Wax

"Aww, why won't those stupid morons let me in their crappy club for jerks!!?" - Homer Simpson

You'll most often see the clearcoat failing on horizontal sections, since they are exposed to the most frequent and most intense sunlight. Soon all of you will be noticing spots of clearcoat failure on the street.
    Paul
    99 Protege LX 5spd, highlight silver: Klasse AIO / FourStar UPP x2 / FourStar UPP spray / Nattys Paste Wax

"Aww, why won't those stupid morons let me in their crappy club for jerks!!?" - Homer Simpson

I've seen it quite a bit, just didn't know the "technical term" for it. I just always though it was called "someone not taking care of their car".

My P5 has clearcoat separating from the paint in large "sheets" on some parts of the car. Mainly where the idiot previous owner rolled the fenders. Great way to screw up a paint job.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! Sorry to hear that Tasty.
    Paul