Thread: 261@ 12ish psi

261@ 12ish psi

Yeah.. hard to say what the actual psi is... why... it spiked as high as 13.2 at the start of the dyno (my peak torque) so I called it a 13 psi run to not deal with h8rs. By the time it hit redline it had dropped to a hair under 12 psi (about 11.8) because the stupid boost controller combined with my horrid downpipe were having issues getting along... so basically most of the dyno was run in between 11.8 and 12.1 psi...

Ambient was 101 degrees... this was the 28th run (14th IN A ROW) with one stupid shop fan (aka no cooling at all for poor motor).

Mods:
    Spool Turbo Kit w/ Evo III 16G
    Ported and polished head and intake manifold
    Spool turbo manifold
    Spool intercooler
    550cc injectors
    Microtech
    JandS Safeguard
    Profec II EBC
    CP/Oliver 9.0:1 compression
    Valve job
    dual 1.125" to single 2.25" to 3" exhaust system (uber crap)

I think that is roughly it for motor...

and also for the record.. I added about 12 degrees of timing safely AFTER this dyno...

redynoing in April, maybe march hopefully.

pdhaudio83
    steve, is there a decent "simple" knock sensor that is simply the sensor and it shows voltage from the sensor (when it senses knock) that can be purchased that is good? any idea?

pdhaudio83
    Awesome dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by pdhaudio83
    steve, is there a decent "simple" knock sensor that is simply the sensor and it shows voltage from the sensor (when it senses knock) that can be purchased that is good? any idea?
    Not really... there was one sort of deal that wasn't bad that John at J&S forwarded to me, but what was "funny" about it was that it had to be calibrated/set up and most people found they had to find a buddy with a J&S to set it up to get it to work right.

A knock sensor is really just a microphone. Same basic structure and everything and you can even use it as one. It's just that it is more sensitive to vibrations in surfaces than it is to radiated sounds in the air. You can actually amplify a knock sensor and "listen" to it... and it just sounds like a tinny version of the real world... So basically you get the higher frequencies. There are so many high frequncy noises in the motor and the knock is really just a "chirp" such that it is VERY hard to hear properly, and it takes pretty sophisticated algorithms to identify knock accurately.

That's one reason I laugh rather hard at the AEM "knock" sensor abilities... all you do is set a volume threshold basically for the singal coming from the knock sensor... when you accelerate harder your engine noise goes up so your AEM threshold has to be set high enough to allow for that, but low enough that when knock arises and the noise levels increase a little bit more because of it, that it "detects" knock.... It's QUITE lame.