12 52.17%
  • Uncool

6 26.09%
  • Seriously Uncool

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Saturn (Opel) Astra

2009 Saturn (Opel) Astra

About damn time. I've loved the German (Opel) version of this car for years.

5 Door

3 Door

Opel Interior (we don't get this):

Saturn Interior:

Photo Galleries
    Autoblog - extensive gallery
    Cars.com

Official Site

From Car And Driver.com
    Making its official debut at the Chicago auto show, the Astra is the latest in Saturn’s product synergy between European Opel and U.S. Saturn products, and this one doesn’t even get a different name for North America. It will be nearly identical to the 2007.5 Opel Astra and sold in the U.S. and Canada in both three-door and five-door configurations.

Five-door models come in two trims, XE and XR, while the three-door comes only in up-level XR trim. 16-inch wheels are standard (17s optional) on five-doors, while 17s are standard on three-doors with an 18-inch option. Welcome safety gear includes standard anti-lock brakes and available stability control (standard on the three-door, optional on the five). Supposedly the handsome and expensive-looking interior is unchanged from the Opel’s [Ed (kansei): this is a fabrication], which was not the case in the Opel Vectra–to–Saturn Aura transformation.

All models will be powered by a 140-hp 1.8-liter Ecotec four-cylinder connected to either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic. The new, much stricter ‘08 fuel economy ratings should put the Astra’s numbers around 23 city and 31 highway (roughly equivalent to 27/34 by ’07 fuel economy standards). Unfortunately, we don’t get the 200-hp 2.0-liter turbo and the six-speed manual that are available in the Opel.

Prices should start around $16,000 for the Astra when it goes on sale this fall.

Reviews:
    Edmunds
    The Truth About Cars - review of the Euro Opel Astra, so of course it isn't quite the same.

Video Reviews:
    YouTube - 2008 Saturn Astra/ Quick Drive
    Last edited by kansei; 12-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.

I actually like the Saturn interior better. The wood grain of the Opel is kinda tacky .. really don't dig the wood grain interiors.

Is it really gonna be only $16K though? Something's not right there..

The Astra is teh sexxx! I want.
    - Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayzieFox View Post
    I actually like the Saturn interior better. The wood grain of the Opel is kinda tacky .. really don't dig the wood grain interiors.

Is it really gonna be only $16K though? Something's not right there..
    As equipped in photos it's like 21-22k. the 3-door is shown with optional 18s, the 5 door with optional 17s.

I hate the cheapo 'yeah we could have given you navi like the 3 but we didn't' display, the fact that it is 140 hp (seriously now, it's not a light car), and the fact that Britain gets a 240hp 6-speed manual Vauxhall VXR and we get the dud model.

Not that the VXR is a nible joy to drive like a Protege from things I've read.. monster torque steer.

I was very excited about the Astra until they cheaped out for the U.S. model. From what I read they are losing money on every Astra they sell from the start, as it is made in Europe. They have a plant in the states that can build it, but they're being smart and won't bring production here unless the demand is decent.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

ehh...I dont like it

the 3 door is the secks

Administrator
    Curb weight (lb / kg, with manual trans.):
    3 door - 2833 / 1285
    5 door - 2921 / 1325

with 140hp. So basically it's Protege MP3 slow, meh.

While I agree from everything I've read and seen that 240hp is too much for that chassis to handle properly, 200hp would have been nice.. or even 170 at the bare minimum.

...throw a kit on it..

There's something way down in my brainstem, near the parts that control breathing and heart rate, that precludes me from liking any American motor vehicle.

Administrator
    That's probably the same thing that caused me to feel extremely embarassed (to the point that it induced anxiety) if I ever wasn't totally alone in the parking lot when entering the Malibu rental :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast