Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Paint

Protecting Paint

Might be getting a bit overly paranoid with the new car showing up soon and all, but right from the get go I'm gonna try and keep the paint and everything in great shape.

Anyone have experience with the 3M Paint Protection stuff?
    Just keep it waxed?
    Should I just have the car wrapped in painters tape 24/7 and only take it off and admire the paint after driving the car into RIT's clean room? :p
    Other suggestions?
    2008.5 MAZDASPEED3 GT

Put 3M on that bumper, NOW. Otherwise you will hate yourself.
    (Do NOT use a bra, these ruin your paint overtime and as your other paint fades in sun, this will not and you will be two-toned.)

Also, just get some really good wax. That should do it.

Administrator
    I know Barry (jackelope) deals with xpel products (www.xpel.com) so he could probably get you the paint protection stuff for a decent price. Shoot him a pm and see what's up.

I know the 3M stuff has to be replaced every 3 years or so because it yellows, not sure how the xpel kit holds up but from everything I've heard they're the best.

retail price for hood, fenders, mirrors is $259.95, for front bumper is $439.95

... plus installation. If it lasts 5+ years it might be nice, otherwise just get your front end repainted, it would be less expensive. Of course, that involves finding a trustworthy body shop (HA).

You could also ask him about getting squares to protect the roof paint from the roof rack, I know he can just get bulk film from them so it shouldn't be an issue, would just need some measurements.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

well it looks like the local "Tint Shop" is a dealer for both the 3M and Xpel stuff, plus they offer student discounts. I'll go there and talk to them
    2008.5 MAZDASPEED3 GT

Give up now :P I don't know what happened to me, but iv just given up.... I learned my lesson with my old 3 and when i got the MS3 i tried so so so hard to keep the front end from getting rock chips ect.... but no matter how hard i tried (and i tried) its a loosing battle imo. I agree with k-lea, don't get a clear bra, they never look right.

Try your best to not follow close to other vehicles and since you live in NY with snow and such try your best not to drive near anyone when there is salt/sand on the ground. Out here in CO the sand they use has ruined my lower lip thing on the front. I guess the best thing is to realize that rock chips will happen so that when you find one (hope you never do) you won't to upset.

Congrats on your MS3!

2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3
    www.coloradomazdaclub.com - CMZC

Quote Originally Posted by Colombia28 View Post
    Give up now :P I don't know what happened to me, but iv just given up.... I learned my lesson with my old 3 and when i got the MS3 i tried so so so hard to keep the front end from getting rock chips ect.... but no matter how hard i tried (and i tried) its a loosing battle imo. I agree with k-lea, don't get a clear bra, they never look right.

Try your best to not follow close to other vehicles and since you live in NY with snow and such try your best not to drive near anyone when there is salt/sand on the ground. Out here in CO the sand they use has ruined my lower lip thing on the front. I guess the best thing is to realize that rock chips will happen so that when you find one (hope you never do) you won't to upset.

Congrats on your MS3!
    Thankfully the MS3 will only have to endure NY for a month, before it travels cross country to its new permanent home in Seattle, Wa.
    2008.5 MAZDASPEED3 GT

Quote Originally Posted by drivebybiped View Post
    Thankfully the MS3 will only have to endure NY for a month, before it travels cross country to its new permanent home in Seattle, Wa.
    Thats great news! Only rain and clouds in Seattle with snow now and then. You may have an easier time keeping her nice.

2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3
    www.coloradomazdaclub.com - CMZC

Blog Entries
    i think it all depends on what type of plastic you get. i have seen some tapes that yellow. but the tape thats on my dads van has been on for 5 yrs now and no signs of colouring.

i vote to 3m/xpel/whatever good plastic it all!
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

Administrator
    the Thule fit kit seems to hardly touch the paint at all, and it's a really soft rubber.

the clamp side of the foot though.. is a clamp, so I dunno it's a little scary.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Blog Entries
    thule o_0

clamp 0_o

say wha?
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast