Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing From P5 to sedan Headlights

Changing From P5 to sedan Headlights

Hello there,

I have a p5 but am not very happy with the stock headlights and would eventually like to go to HID's.

I understand that using sedan lights for a retrofit would be better for two reasons:

1 - Only 1 bulb instead of two
    2 - Easier adjustment

Now, my question is...has anyone done this mod? If so, what was involved in doing so?

I would think:

Wiring (from four lights to two)
    Changing the actual housings (removing the front bumper, etc)

Is there a how-to somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Juan
    "More and more of our imports come from overseas.":kopkrab:
    -George W Bush.

Administrator
    Easier adjustment? The adjustment (up/down) is the same on the P5 and sedan headlights. You're talking about drastically increased cost since you'll have to get bi-xenon HID projectors and of course new headlights. I can basically go over the wiring changes to merge the high and low into one, it's pretty simple --just on my way out the door right now.

One issue that I can think of immediately is if you ever use the "flash to pass" high beam function when your headlights aren't on, it'll be a ton of wear and tear on your HID ballasts. This is why most cars that come with bi-xenon HIDs still have a separate halogen high beam bulb (like the P5 lights) that is used just for the flash to pass function.

If you wanted to do a black housing headlight p5 HID conversion I have the full setup for sale (with new hid bulbs, new ballasts, and Acura TSX projectors) here:
    http://www.themazdaforum.com/showthread.php?t=1172
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

Ok, questions questions.

Do you have OEM headlights on your pro5? Or, Ebay?

When you say retrofit, do you mean just putting an HID plug and play kit? Or full projector retrofit?

Protege5 headlights actually handle plug and play HID headlights better than sedan housings, and, only require one set of bulbs for the low's (cheaper than a single bulb bi-xenon kit) leaving your high beams halogen.

If you're unhappy with your current low beam setup, can I highly suggest buying Kansei's current TSX retrofit setup? He's in process with it, but, uses one of the best low beam HID projectors out there!!

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Blog Entries
    the sedan housings are a little better. but with the money your gonna spends on a bi-xenon kit, and new lamps, and modified wiring, your better off w/ a projector kit. after spending all that money, i think your gonna be disappointed.
    Ammaar - Stock 03 Pro LX updated with some of that ish.

It's the Second Law of Sexual Dynamics...if you think a girl is attracted to you, you are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kansei View Post
    Easier adjustment? The adjustment (up/down) is the same on the P5 and sedan headlights. You're talking about drastically increased cost since you'll have to get bi-xenon HID projectors and of course new headlights. I can basically go over the wiring changes to merge the high and low into one, it's pretty simple --just on my way out the door right now.

One issue that I can think of immediately is if you ever use the "flash to pass" high beam function when your headlights aren't on, it'll be a ton of wear and tear on your HID ballasts. This is why most cars that come with bi-xenon HIDs still have a separate halogen high beam bulb (like the P5 lights) that is used just for the flash to pass function.

If you wanted to do a black housing headlight p5 HID conversion I have the full setup for sale (with new hid bulbs, new ballasts, and Acura TSX projectors) here:
    http://www.themazdaforum.com/showthread.php?t=1172
    By adjustment, I mean that I can't adjust the high beam searately from the low beam and I feel that the High beam is adjusted too low for long-term night time driving, of which I do a lot. I originally thought of using separate low and high beam HID's but it is an expensive proposition, especially if I want to do it right and use projectors for both. Uhn, unh, no thank you.

I know that a single reflector will not have separate adjustment to both low and high beam but in my opinion (from experience), single reflector housings have better high beam output (adjustment) than multi reflectors, or at least the P5 ones.

I saw your yummy looking set up but still, no HID high-beam. I tend not to flash people for passing purposes so, that argument, although a good one, does not apply to me.

I know that I could set up the plug and play low and high beam HID's but would that not require that I aim the housing down even further than stock to prevent blinding others on the road? And if I do would that not defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish?

Two reasons why I decided to go this route:

1 - Because I've read on several forums that the sedan housing would better for a plug-and-play bi-xenon set up as the cut-off line on the sedan housing is better than that of the P5.

2 - Buying one set of bi-xenon is still cheaper than buying two sets one high and one low.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong on any account...I'd appreciate everyone's SERIOUS input into this thread.

Thanks Again,

Juan
    -George W Bush.

I am going to just say go with Kansei's setup. But, you could sell off the TSX projectors and replace them with Infiniti FX35 bixenons. If you choose, you can install them in pro5 housings and have both hid high and low, as well as a halogen high. And, if done right, projector should be adjustable seperate from the housing.

Protege to MX-5 lineage
    Kevin did it before Phil, who was before Andrew, before Bruce, Chris, Tony, Phen, Tylor, Mahk, Roy, John, Jerry, Rob, Shadow, Josh, Scratch, Dub, Andrew, Vocko, Matt V, Protojason, Chief, who's Miata we will see one picture of ever, Barry, and GMalatrasi.

Administrator
    oh nvm I thought you were going with a projector retrofit, not tossing hids into a halogen housing.

Honestly though the halogen beam pattern of the sedan low beam is sharper, the Protege5 lights do seem to take to plug and play HIDs quite well.

Also in my retrofit you can adjust the angle of the projector independently of the high beam and in a ton of different ways.. left/right, up/down, and even rotation (to make the cutoff level)

Well, I'm kind of still up in the air about using a Halogen housing for HID's hence my post...

I think the best would be to have a single housing with Bi-xenon HID's. Maybe, find a set of used sedan lights and retrofit those with...someone suggested...FX35 projectors?

It seems that...no matter what, to do it right, its a very expensive proposition...so...I might have to leave this for a later time...

Kansei, like I said...your set-up is da bomb...unfortunately, I have neither the time nor tools nor space to be able to complete a project like the one you've started.

Good luck selling your kit. I appreciate hearing from everyone...thanks!

Just one last thing...the sedan lights are a direct fit, except for the wiring, correct?
    -George W Bush.

Administrator
    yup direct fit

Thanks everyone...
    -George W Bush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast