Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Protege world? What to mod first? Check inside.

Administrator
    stickied and title edited as 95% of the stuff isn't Protege5-specific.
    Build Thread - 2016 Fiesta ST, never driven but frequently modded

I would like to add my old sticky (a little updated) from the old place. It was my welcome sticky in the Protege 5 section.

Right after I got my P5, I got the intake. You can get a short ram intake (SRI), which is what I have. Others have cold air intakes (CAI) They are about the same on ebay, but you may also opt for name brand. I have the ebay. It is fine. You are not getting 20+ hp from it. I promise.

The next thing I did was get rid of those god forsaken Dunflop piece of shit stock tires. I hydroplaned within the first week or so I owned the P5. I ended up with the Yokohama AVS ES 100's. 205-50-16's on the stock rims. After 23000 miles, they were through, so I got aftermarket wheels, and Kumho Ecsta 711 205-40-17’s. There are a bazillion threads on many forums about tires. These I highly recommend for rainy climates. (Bottom line, get out of the stock tires before you have a problem, and since the car has not been made in 4 years, you probably will nothave the Dunflops)

I just got (after 2.5 years of owning my car) a Racing Beat exhaust. I got an insanely good deal on it. It is on the higher end of the pricing range, but you can score one used at a good rate if you are on the forum within the .245 seconds someone posts it for sale used. They run in the high $400 range new. There is a Mazda Sport (Mazdaspeed) exhaust which is also popular, but people have complained of droning, or an annoying sound at freeway speeds. The Racing Beat does not do that. But there are a bazillion threads about the exhaust subject too, look them up.

Then there is the tinting of windows, a stereo, springs/shocks/body kit, Underdrive Pulleys, carbon fiber everything, etc you will see people getting.

Short shifter is next on my list. Kartboy makes a great one, I have seen it in person. I got a B&M because I am tall, and not wanting the short short shifter. Shifter bushings are a must. Get them no matter what. Huge difference in shifting!

I found by moving to synthetic engine and transmission fluids, I get better mileage, and it shifts smoother too. So easy to do, it is worth it.

One more thing you should consider when you mod is a header. OBX and Ractive are the most common. I just installed the Ractive, and love the HP gains. Be sure to look up the Spark Plug non-fouler trick for the 2nd o2 sensor. It prevents the CEL from coming on.
    Use it if you want, or don't. I just want to contribute..

Administrator
    want me to leave the thread you made that included that or no?

Include my thread here. Both are for protege's, no sense on 2. delete the other.

I wish I had this when I first got my P5. would have saved $ on stupid things I had to buy twice.

Other things high on the list of "to do":
    Motor mounts and motor mount inserts as any factory Protege rubber mount is surely torn by now.
    Transmission cooler for those running automatic transmissions with some good synthetic fluid.

Ill try to add some more stuff to my first post this weekend. But yeah this stuff will help the noobs. And even us from time to time, if we get this rich of info.
    K&N Typhone 2 Intake l Esperil Springs l RR Footwell lights l EvoR trunk Lip l Axis Supermesh Rims l Agency Power midpipe l Eye lids l OEM tow hook painted chrome black l Blacked out emblems l LS1 Coils l Exhaust

yeah like the first post should be all the shit noobs can and should do and then all their "what do you think if i or about" should be directed here so the opinions can be contained in here so as to not mess up the search feature.

Its actually a cool thought! Im glad you guys arnt so corrupt with power to take steps to new ideas.

oh and then then noobs can look at all the opinions and situations of the people posting there reviews and experience of the mods listed in the first post for the noobs.

Administrator
    omg new ideas?? NOT ALLOWED

give us moneys and we may implement your ideas
    ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast