Thread: mazda mx-5 mpg

mazda mx-5 mpg

looking to buy an mx-5 - what actual mpg are people getting? heard they can be very thirsty. buying one is a big decision. thanks in advance!

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure who might have told you Miatas are thirsty. A little more information about which ones you are looking at (year, stock/turbo/supercharged etc) will help get you a better answer. It all comes down to your right foot. A stock Miata that is driven on the freeway should be able to return 28-30 mpg. When mine had the smaller supercharger on it with a bandaid fueling solution it got 24 mpg regularly. My current setup (MP62 supercharger, Megasquirt ECU) has gotten me 30 mpg on the freeway using cruise. If you are like most people you will enjoy driving the car, so your mileage will go down depending upon your level of joy.
    '81 RX-7, '00 Miata SE, '06 RX-8 (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure who might have told you Miatas are thirsty. A little more information about which ones you are looking at (year, stock/turbo/supercharged etc) will help get you a better answer. It all comes down to your right foot. A stock Miata that is driven on the freeway should be able to return 28-30 mpg. When mine had the smaller supercharger on it with a bandaid fueling solution it got 24 mpg regularly. My current setup (MP62 supercharger, Megasquirt ECU) has gotten me 30 mpg on the freeway using cruise. If you are like most people you will enjoy driving the car, so your mileage will go down depending upon your level of joy.
    Looking at the Mazda MX-5 Graphite - notice that it recommends 39mpg so not bad at all.

go here: www.fuelly.com and search for the car and model year that you are considering. that said, i get 30-ish out of my 2011 model.
    Nik
    2011 MX-5 GT PRHT

Now with pictures, but not for you! chiefmg's Avatar
    This person is apparently in the UK. I googled that model and it took me to Mazda UK. That mileage rating is with a 1.8 liter engine that isn't offered in the US. Having said all that, I'm somewhat suspicious of the OP, said someone told them the car used a lot of fuel and then suddenly they found a site that shows otherwise? Possible spam.